Shouldn't SLI require more watts?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Exfoliate, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

It seem it takes a somewhat common PSU to run a couple 6800GT's, a 4000+ proc, few drives, some fans, monitor etc. Alot of people can get away with using a <600wt PSU and be fine. This is probably a fairly dumb question but I dont see how that works, a single 6800 Ultra requires about 480wts alone, how can people run two of them along with everything else when you can't get a PSU even close to 1000wts? I'm sure you can all set me straight, thanks.

2. Addis

Addis The King

Its probably because they don't actually use 480W. I think its the minimum PSU needed to run this, not the power consumed by the card itself. Anyway just my theory.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I suppose, thanks. Still you'd think that if they wanted you to have a 480wt PSU than the card would require near that. Maybe SLI has it's own set of tricks, I doubt it but possibly since the cards only run in 8x mode maybe the power consumption is cut some??

4. Addis

Addis The King

And possibly because it doesn't use that much anyway, only comes close on load which would make sense.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While I wouldn't suggest running a 300W unit, you're going to find that wattage really doesn't mean very much. It's the amperage---the current itself---that's what you want to have your eye on. I've said it before, and it's not gonna hurt to say it again: I've got two 350W PSU's from Sparkle and Antec. Now I've also seen some brands with a supposed 500-600W that have the same, and sometimes quite a bit less, amperage as these 350W units. The thing that's missing is heat being factored in...which is a problem, because companies can use math without the heat factored in. You introduce heat into the equation and you'll see many of these 500-600W units run on the same level as a quality 300-350W unit.

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

yea i agree with bigb you shud get a 500-600 watt PSU some that are sli certified are pretty cool and they come with two pci express links for both cards. and no 480W is the minimum requirement for the system PSU for it to be able to function safely (sorry if im saying the same thing as ppol b4) but still evn if u say that they run at 8x 8x then still consider that its performing (for example) around two agp cards so it stil draws from 100-200W. sli requires some time to understand (as it took me) but it ends up reli saving money and kickin ass on any game and providing smooth as hell content with movies lol