Skippy system with Antec SmartPower 2.0

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Faberitius, May 26, 2007.

1. Faberitius

Faberitius Geek Trainee

Hello,

I've purchased an Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W a couple of months ago. I've installed it correctly, the values are ok, and everything is going fine. Now, I have a strange issue occuring: whenever the fan control activates the exhaust fan, the system clutters, that is, it becomes jumpy or skippy. That's quite noticeable when playing music or videogames, but it doesn't seem to alter system stability in a noticeable way.

Is that normal? Any way to optimize this? Could that issue lead to further instability? ¿Do I have to change BIOS or jumper settings?

Cheers,

Fabrizio Ferri Benedetti

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What's the specs of this system?

3. Faberitius

Faberitius Geek Trainee

Acer Aspire E360
    AMD 64 X2 3800+ ('ve already installed the Dual-Core Optimizer)
    Acer FC51GM Motherboard (it's a Foxconn WinFast 6150K8MA-8EKRS with NForce 430 chipset
    Apacer 2x512mb DDR RAM PC3200 (400mhz)
    MSI Nvidia GeForce 7900GTO 512mb (PCI-Ex) - 93.81 Beta Drivers
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    Award Workstatio BIOS v6.00PG (exclusiverly for Acer)
    Extra fan on the rear side of the case
    Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (updated and working fine)

I'm afraid that the problem is actually a "feature" of the Antec PSU - when the PSU gets hotter or the systems drains more power, then the other fan activates and the system skips for less than one second...

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Doesn't sound like a PSU issue. However, skipping has been related, specifically where audio acceleration is/might be used on Creative cards.

Why don't you pop out that X-Fi for awhile, and run with the on-board sound for a few days. Knowning Creative and looking at the symptoms, I'm more apt to point a finger at them. I know when the X-Fi's first hit, there were major issues with nForce 4 chipsets, which the nForce 430 is based off.

5. enoc

enoc Geek Trainee

I'm a little late to this party and unfortunately don't have much to add to the original topic however:

I've been using an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W for over a year now. Not once has it run hot enough to warrant the 2nd fan to startup - if it works at all :chk:

Now for my Smartpower issues. :doh:

First off, I've got very few complaints about this PSU. It's modular, plenty of cables and extra connectors etc, and even has sleeved cables. Heck I still use the box to store instruction manuals and CD's or whatnot. Not once have I had a random shutdown or freeze up relating to power.

Now when I first installed this PSU (for my 1st build no less) it powered everything right up and has been a workhorse for about 14 months now. My only quarrel was a low pitched whine that came from the PSU whenever it was turned on - but barely audible over the PC itself (Not a quiet rig). It has never not made this noise.

Recently however (within the last 4-6 weeks), when the system sits idle or the CPU is not running intensely; like if I'm just browsing the web, a very loud, high pitched squeal starts going. First it was only when I used the scroll wheel on my mouse, next it was intermittent stopping and starting while pages would load and programs would open. Finally it has become constant, stopping only when the PC is under load (ie games or CAD). The low whine still is always there, but this new squealing has prompted me to buy a new PSU (Rosewill Stallion 450W on the way via UPS - We'll see if a new PSU will 'fix' things).

I've also reconnected all my hardware to the PSU in order of importance, so my GPU is first, then a couple fans. This other line has my HDD's first then a couple fans etc. (I thought having the fans first in the circuit could be causing me to lose power to primary devices, wasn't the case). Checking the BIOS hardware monitor showed voltage was normal. I don't have a gauge to check the lines directly.

Most recently now, my bezel side (front) USB ports cut power to my keyboard and mouse, causing me to unplug them and put them back, which always worked until power cut out again. If I put them in the rear USB ports, they work fine consistantly. I believe this is unrelated because of stress on the cords from being in awkward positions. But it could also foreshadow power problems or mobo starting to die (noooooooo!).

Google internet search has showed this to be a common problem with PSU's in general, not just Antec; but, where ever Antec was mentioned, so too was 'Smartpower 2.0'. It seems the SmartPower line may be the worst of the Antec model lines. Always seems to be bad capacitors in the PSU, occasionally somebody will say its a fan. The problem could also lie in the Mobo capacitors or MOSFETs (whatever those are). I'm certain it isn't anything VISIBLE on the mobo. I havn't cracked open the PSU too look around at all.

Anyhow thanks for reading all of this, and any input would be appreciated. Although most of my system is a generation old now, it shouldn't need replaced for another year yet. Any PSU calculator I've used states I shouldn't need more than 430W (havn't done the math myself) Here's my specs:

Asus p4p800SE
    P4 Prescott 3.06Ghz 800MB FSB w/HT
    Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM - Sata
    Western Digital 160GB - Sata
    Asus CD-RW
    Sony DVD-ROM
    BFGTech Nvidia Geforce 7800GS AGP OC
    Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W
    Soundblaster Audiogy 2 ZS
    a NIC card (I want to say it's US Robotics)
    4 - 120MM LED fans
    2 - 80MM fans

Razer DiamondBack mouse & Saitek Eclipse Keyboard (assuming they draw more power than less flashy counterparts)

Thanks again - enoc

6. enoc

enoc Geek Trainee

Got my Rosewill PSU today and hooked it up. I never noticed how loud my Antec was until i started this puppy up. Runs everything flawlessly rated for 50W less. Even hooked up 2 extra fans and a blacklight.

It's mission go for now, I've heard 0 whines, whistles, squeaks etc. since, but I plan to let it run idle for a while just to be sure.

Still don't know what went wrong with my Antec. I probably just got lucky that my slightly defective model performed so well for so long until it started to go. That's assuming of course that the PSU was the source of the noise. Time will tell.

Enoc

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Of the big players (the good brands) Antec probably has the most trouble. Possibly an oxymoron, but that's the facts. Rosewill is kinda iffy because some are solid units, but others are just as bad as the crap they peddle with a PSU. A quick and reasonably reliable way to tell the quality is by the heft. If it felt like there was something to the unit, you might not be too bad. However, if it's a feather weight unit, time will only tell until it goes.
    Also, the SmartPower units aren't Antecs best units. Compared with the TruePower line, they're kinda crappy.

For a budget check out Fortron/Sparkle, XClio, or Ultra.