Smartlink 56k voice modem - incoming call problem

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Elaine, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Elaine

Elaine Geek Trainee

I have just purchased a new computer and have a SmartLink 56k Voice Modem onboard. I have installed the latest driver (2.91.06.374 Rel 30/09/01).

Now I am having problems with the connection. It dials up fine but then, after various degrees of time, minutes seconds or even after an hour sometime, I get the following message box appear.

YOU HAVE JUST IGNORED AN INCOMING CALL - PRESS THE OK BUTTON

This I do and then it disconnects! If I don't press it it still disconnects!

I only use this line for my internet access so no one telephones me on this. Also my telephone does NOT have CALL WAITING.

Can anyone suggest any solution?? :confused:

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try a different driver if possible and try using your usual phone line when you normally don't get calls and see if this crops up.
    Has this happened with another modem? Can you try another 56k modem?

It's been a long time since I've used dial-up, but give this stuff a shot if you haven't already. Good luck.

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

You'll probably have to enter the *## that the phone company has to disable call waiting. I know a few people who did not have the call-waiting service but on an incoming call would be disconnected and *70'ing seemed to work for them.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

5. Elaine

Elaine Geek Trainee

Thanks for the replies :) Ive since got a fix patch from a person with the same problem.. have installed it and so far it seems to have fixed the incoming call pop ups!

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Cool!

7. Elaine

Elaine Geek Trainee

"So--the computer's stupid, not you?"
    Erm.. no it's me actually :eek: hehehe Thanks again :)

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Oh, that line is off of SNL's "Nick Burn's, Your Company's Computer Guy". Basically, every time he's on fixing a computer problem he'll act like everyone should know how to fix their computer. Frequently the users/victim's will start to say "Well, this stupid..." or "This dumb thing..." to which Nick will reply "So, the computer's stupid not you." I thought that was incredibly funny, so I've just been using it.

That long winded response is how I got that.