SONY VAIO Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Ripper, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

I have a hand-me-down VAIO for work and recently I have been having problems of it shutting down on me. Right in the middle of my work, it shuts off, could be 2 minutes or 2 hours, the time it stays on vaires but no warning, just off she goes. Then I must reboot all over again. Very timely and a royal pain. Anybody out there have any words of wisdom?:eek:hah:

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

It seems that you are infected with some kind of virus, trojan or adware smthing. Install [link=http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html]Avast Antivirus[/link] to check the viruses and [link=http://www.lavasoft.de/]Adware se[/link] to check the adwares. These softwares are free. Let us know the further hapennings.

3. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

You think it is a virus huh? I have all the software for scanning loaded and running all the time.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

It may not be a virus, don't fall into that trap straight away, use SpeedFan to check the temperatures and PSU Rails of the PC as they can cause all sorts of problems.

5. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

Funny you mention temp. I just loaded in motherboard monitor and have the temp setting in my toolbar, CPU is running at 50 Degress F. SHould be cool enough no?

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

What are the specs of the PC - is it one of those VAIO computers that's rather 'compact' (what I mean is - is the computer located 'behind' the screen? Because my friend has one of those and the small size means there's very little airflow and things will get hot)

7. Karanislove

Whoa, all right! all right!. It was just one opinion.

Anyways, when next time this automatic shutdown occurs to you then restart your computer and Right click on your my computer > manage, go to event viewer. Expand it, first look in the system, can you see a red circlie with cross sign in it? double click on that sign, copy all the text and paste here. Paste all the error(red circlies) one. Then simillarly for the application evens as well.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'd also give a scan with Memtest86 to check your RAM for errors.

9. Karanislove

Software can lie you, best place to look for the tempratures is in the CMOS.

10. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

This is an older VAIO Model PCG-FRV26. I will try the RAM test now.

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Well the BIOS reads from the temperature monitoring chips, so does software so there shouldn't be that much of a difference, sometimes there is so check both.

12. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

How do I get to the CMOS? Never heard of that.

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Oh this is a laptop?!

I thought it was a desktop, laptops can get warm as well as again there's limited airflow for cooling. It may not be that though, do the tests and post results so we can see what's what.

Karanislove means BIOS I think, usually hit Delete when botting the laptop, then look in the 'PC Health Satus' section or something like that, it should tell you temperatures and PSU rails, make a note of them and post them here.

14. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

Matt, the Memtest, there are several options to download, which one do you suggest I load?

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I think the 3.2 version isn't quite complete (BETA) so try the 3.1a release.

Although it does say:

Version 3.2 is the preferred release. The 3.1a release is provided here as an alternative.

So try 3.2

16. Karanislove

Can you tell, what did you do when this thing start hapenning? Any new installation of software or hardware?

17. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

This is a little more complex than I think I can handle Matt.

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

19. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

I was backing up a Quickbooks CD from my office. I checked the CD and it was clean of virus.

20. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

Memtest has to run for several hours, I don't think the VAIO will stay on that long :)