Spray Paint

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Rusty S, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Rusty S

Rusty S Geek Trainee

Sup, just spray painted a case with some black tremclad spray paint and dont know how long the dry time is... doesn't say on the can. Im sure that others have spray painted, how long does it take for it to adeguetly dry?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Wait several hours before touching it at the very least. It wouldn't hurt to let it sit a day before the next coat either, and usually is needed for it to cure

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah, I rushed mine a little and it shows in places.

It scratches off really easily too so be carefull putting it all back together.

4. Rusty S

Rusty S Geek Trainee

So its been about a day... does it scratch off all the time or will it eventually dry or something so it doesn't scratch easy? Im putting a new coat on it today cuz ive already scratched it up:p Is there any product I kud use to prevent it from scratching so easily? This comp is ganna be moved around alot... LAN;)

5. zeus

zeus out of date

The most resistant way to paint it would be to powder coat it. You would have to get a professional to do that.

From my experiance I reckon it will scratch easy with most if not all DIY sprays.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup, that's true. For the DIY'er, you do need to spend time.
    Sand the metal to be painted after removing it from the case. Then prime it, sand it smooth. Maybe do another coat of primer and sand that down. Now use the paint, sand it smooth. Rinse, repeat. Then follow up by a coat or two of clear coat.

7. Rusty S

Rusty S Geek Trainee

Just added my 5 or 6th coat... Lost count along the way lol. Wow a hairdryer sure speeds things up;) Anyways, theres nothing that I can aply to the top of the paint though, is there? Like maybe somekind of transperant coat that prevents scratches? Probably not, but im new to this!

8. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah, like Big B said, the clear coat. Its the best chance you have for preventing scratches. Ive always known it as Laquer, but im guessing its the same.

9. Rusty S

Rusty S Geek Trainee

K, thanx. Im going to buy some today I guess then. Just one final question: I apply the clear coat as the very last coat of the painting process, right?

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That is correct.

11. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i think laquer is wood specific, also is a little late, but for future reference, it is a good idea to scratch up the surface your painting so the paint has something to grab, recommend using a lower grit sand paper, or some coarse steel wool. Best way would be to just remove all prior paint but takes a lot of time and what not. Also its out of curiosity what type of paint are you using?

12. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, also, many types of paint recommend you NOT let the paint dry so long between coats because it prevents the new coats from sticking as well. But yea if I did it I would use automotive paint and do this:
    1. Sand off paint with low grit paper
    2. re-sand with high grit paper
    3. Prime
    4. Sand w/ high grit
    5. Prime
    6. Sand w/ high grit
    7. Paint
    8. Sand w/ high grit
    9. Repeat 7 and 8 about 3 times
    10. Do a final paint coat
    11. Clear coat
    12. Clear coat

13. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

right another option would be applience paint. which doesn't require primer and is scratch resistant.