Subwoofer Placement

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Willz, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi.

Dunno if anyone will know anything about subwoofer placement or anything, but here it goes.

At the moment my desk is situated at the right corner of my room, and my Logitech Z5500 subwoofer is placed in the left corner facing outwards abit.

Pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/thehub/Sub.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/thehub/FullView.jpg

From the pics you can see my current position of subwoofer and desk.

You see in the pictures were the radiator is and the windows? well i want to move my desk to the side so that it is right in front of the window, but doing this it will be right next to the subwoofer, and could potentially block it abit, were my desk currently is, it is a bass hotspot due to been in a corner, were would the best place be for the subwoofer so that i still get good bass from the subwoofer and not have to crang it up so much just ot hear it normal if i move my desk in front of the window?

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

like [​IMG]

nd u will feel more bass cmg out of ur Sub!

Edit: Oh forgot to write....u dont hear woofer, u jst feel it ;)

3. Willz

what? if i put the port so it is directly facing the wall?, but wouldent that just block the air coming out of the sub as much? And also having the desk right at the side of it, wouldent that kind of change the bass?

4. Karanislove

Opps!...didnt notice that Hole on the side coz usually it comes on the front side....

Then other good way is....Face the Front of the Sub towards the Roof and that hole towards the arrow i've made.... Jst do it without even moving anything before nd see the difference!
    [ot] If wires comes out in the way then dont do it, it has to be fully based on the floor![/ot]

5. Karanislove

U dont hear the bass, you hear your speakers.........

6. Willz

what? you do hear bass, it comes out of the subwoofer lol, i like lots of bass, but when i like it at a normal level, i like it to be good at a normal level, this means placing the subwoofer in a good place, i couldent face the front up, there is a heatsink and loads of cables at the back.

7. Karanislove

Then put here........

[​IMG]

Like this, it will shake ur legs......Belive me nd u will love this placement!

Edit: Also you dont have to leave as much space as possible for the air hole.... A 30cm of distance is more than enough for that....

8. Willz

I am confused, so i am moving the sub so that instead of been in the position it is now, it is facing straight ahead, and the back of it is away from the wall by about 30cm?

WIll this position just shake my legs? or will increase the bass, i mean from the current position, the thing makes my trousers flap lol. but the current position is no good for moving the desk.

9. Karanislove

Can you make imginary line, where upto ur table will come to nd how much space u will left with after that on both the corners??

[ot]
    If you move your table in the middle of the window then you will have to put the curtains on all the day coz the outside light will hit your eyes.....So do think about that before if you dont want to do that...[/ot]

10. Willz

11. Karanislove

There are so many ways.....
    [​IMG]
    Dont worry about about the right side of the desk coz I forgot that it has an air hole in the right......
    1. On left side of your desk with some distance from the wall...
    2. As it was before but on right corner this time coz it seems to have lot of space left after moving ur table..
    3. Under the table if there is that much space.....(This will make your pants shake everytime..lol)
    4. Besides ur chair....(This will make your pants shake everytime also..lol)

12. Willz

Loll, ok i will try one of those positions, and still be moving my desk.

Also, you know anything about sound proofing, and stopping the vibration traveling? i had neighbour around, and i was amazed at how low volume i have to have it now coz next door can hear it :(, so i need to do abit of soundproofing, i am thinking about totally putting sound proof stuff on the walls, but i would just like something under the sub to stop the vibrations, at the moment i am trying, 4 little black wooden stilt things then on top of that i have one 12mm thick piece of wood, then on top of that.... 6 toilet rools LOL, but the thing is i thought it would reduce the vibration a little, but it did not at all, before when i tested it out on top, it got rid of the vibration almost by 3 times, but now the toilet rolls got squashed coz of the weight of the sub, they dont work anymore :(

13. Karanislove

Lol thats funny...n u know wat...I also cant listn loud voice due to my neighbours....Even I've recieved a warning due to this from our landlord.. :angry:

Now back to the point, adding solid things(like u said 5m thick wood) under the subwoofer wont make any difference in the bass.....Also if you think that wood comsumes bass then I think u r wrong in this case coz that u woofer u've down there with you is made up of wood...:p. To avoid vibrations, first of all you need to move it away from the corner/wall.... Have u ever thought about puttin it on your comuter table ?? with those thermacol which came with those woofers underneath.... nd see if that change the vibrations... ;)

14. Willz

Putting the subwoofer on my table!?!?!, lol, first of all, it is too big to fit on a table lol, its 10" driver inside it lol, and the magnet in it can disrupt things up to 1m, so it could damage the computer :p

15. zeus

zeus out of date

Wow, im not surprised you neighbours can hear your speakers!!

Ive not read all the posts but the solutions is simple given the tones from bass speakers. The sounds wavelength is pretty big so the position doesnt make much of a difference. ie Your head is only....what a little over half a foot wide and the wavelengths will be more than this so you wont be able to detect which side the sound is coming from.

Stick it anywhere. Obviously if you put it directly behind something (like say a sheet of mdf) the sound will be quieter but because the wavelength will be bigger than the thickness of the sheet of mdf the sound quality will (should :) ) remain the same. What might ruin the sound is the fact that the mdf will move and create its own sounds. You'll get the same result if you put the woofer on a desk... the desk will move!

I remember you saying how your monitor wobbled if you stood in a particular part of your room. I jokingly said its your eyes wobbling.... the thing is I was serious! That particular part of your room must have been at the end of a 'wave' (they're not waves as such... its just a term from a particular model someone came up with years and years ago) so you were getting the full effect of the woofer. Everybodys woofer will do the same. The lower the tone the bigger the wavelength. My woofer is only small and if I stand at my bookcase its so bassy the song/tune is ruined. But if I stand closer or further (Only a couple of feet) the bass will decrease and the complete sound will be balanced. Im assuming its why people put subs in the boots of thier cars (not just boy racer cars n stuff.... £50,000 BMWs etc) its because its as far away as possible... plus they are big!

Its the same with electromagnetic radiation.... The wavelengths of say....radioactive uranium are so small they will effect things as small as cells in your body hence its bad! But the wavelengths of say heat from a halogen heater are bigger and so will totally miss the cells and wont cause any harm. Radiation is radiation, theres only ones type.

I suppose what im saying, in suammry, stick in anywhere just make sure nothing rattles.

16. Willz

no matter were i stick it, everything shakes like crazy. I think the reason there put in boots is because its the only place to put them lol, some cars have walls, which have 3 or 4 big 15" woofers in, if possible, people will put them anywere, just that the boot is the most practicaly place if you dont want to rip your seats out lol, when i get a car if i ever do, i am planning on maybe getting some 15" adire audio subwoofers, cant remember which type, but there cheap and really good quality, i am saving up for a BK Monolith hi-fi sub, 12" 300w, bigg, can do 20hz at 100db which will shake stuff up allot lol, but i dont know if tis worth it now.

17. woodmaster

woodmaster Geek Trainee

Hi Willz just thought I would add to this but if you get a sub that big and with that kind of output you'll blow youre room and next door to bits you only need bass to fill you're room not the street :blah: with a sub that gose that low it will go straight though youre wall and into you neighbours head:chk:

18. Willz

:(, i need to stop it going straight through the wall, any suggestions? :p

19. zeus

zeus out of date

Make it go through the ceiling instead? :)

20. Willz

LOL, oh yea great idea lmao :p