Symptoms on not enough power?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by hoverfly, Apr 8, 2008.

1. hoverfly

hoverfly Geek Trainee

I have a compaq SFF computer with a 175W power supply. I recently purchaced a 256 graphics card (GeForce 6200) which i was hoping would let me run certain games which will not run at the moment as i only have a 64mb onboard graphics card. Unfortunatly it doesnt fit neatly in the casing, but this doesnt really bother me. When connected up and the comptuer turned on the fans run, ligsh light up and harddrive humms but the computer doesnt make the normal start up noises and nothing is fed through to the moniter. I am assuming this is because my 175W power supply (aslo supplying harddrive, DVD and floppy) is not up to it.
    Is this the case? The card is obviously getting some power as the fan runs normally, but perhaps there is not enough?
    secondly, i tried using a diffrent power supply from another computer, but it didnt have the correct attachments to attach to one of the sockets, which is under the power supply in the SSF compaq. I assume this is a special socket for the SSF to make it more comapct. It is the large socket with 20 odd pins (havnt counted them)

Is it a power supply problem, please? or is it something else (i.e mother board not good enough) or can you no tell

And does anyone know where to get a 250W power supply for a compaq SSF, or how i can convert a normal power supply to supply my computer, as i said, im not to bothered about it not being all in the case.

Sorry its long, and i hope someone can help me!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Is the video card fully inserted into the slot? If not, then it's not going to work in that condition.

Which specific Compaq model do you have?