System shutdown with chrip sound

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by kallips, Sep 16, 2008.

1. kallips

kallips Geek Trainee

I am facing a problem which is quite random in nature, it occurs once in a while at times it occur 2 -3 times a day then i wont find that for 1-2 weeks after which it returns . When I switches on my system it just goes off with a chriping sound , I cannot say shut down because it goes off just as power is cut off then it restarts , and then again goes off and restarts the cycle continues. To get it to work again I have to switch off the ups ,since there is no other way to shut down the system and try after sometime . I thought it may be the problem with motherboard but now i doubt it because i have used my system 6 to 7 hours without a break without any problem . Now I just cannot make out what the problem is . Can a problem in smps lead to a situation like this ?
    plz help
    my configuration is
    Intel P4
    Intel D915GLVG board
    256 MB RAM

2. kozmik kaz

kozmik kaz Geek Trainee

Whats the wattage on the PSU?
    And are you using firewire?

3. kallips

kallips Geek Trainee

the PSU is of 450watts and I am not using firewire

4. kozmik kaz

kozmik kaz Geek Trainee

Well I would say that the problem would be insufficiant wattage, however, you are only running a P4, and the chirping noise is most commonly associated with firewire, but you are not using it, so my guess would be to check the power supply on another computer if you have one, if you dont have one, you can try a voltimeter, to check the proper output, which is relativly easy to do.

HowStuffWorks "How PC Power Supplies Work"