Task manager also !

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by harrack52, Jan 21, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I have win xp corporate and am the only user on it so I am the administrator. I went in task manager and while in it I remember having touched several keys at the same time without wanting to do so and now when I go in task manager I don'T see the processes anymore , cpu usage etc... All I see is a table with my user name , id 0 , and session : console, with the "disconnect", "logoff" and "send message" buttons.
    How can I have task manager "back" ?

2. Saton

Saton Geek Trainee

Re-install windows over the original that repairs everything

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Is anything else missing besides task manager? Have you tried restarting (dumb question, I know).
    If this is a fresh install, did you notice any errors during the install?

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It is an upgrade from win 98 but i had installed 98 from scratch and there were no errors during the installation.

I have tried restarting and the only thing missing is the task manager.

I still get something when I press ctl+alt+del but it's that user table instead of task manager

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not sure if it's the root cause, but an upgrade from a Win 9x OS (like 98) to an NT OS (like 2000, XP) isn't a good idea. Even if your XP is an upgrade, you can just pop in the 98 disc to verify that you own a prior version of Windows and get a clean install of XP. It would be of a great benefit to you to do a clean install of XP, and not an upgrade from 98. You can try to reinstall XP over itself, but it might serve you better to start fresh.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'm 100 % sure xp is the only OS installed right now since everything I have is on the same partition.

and I had task manager for awhile until I did this key sequence that I don't know how to do !

But anyway, I think I'll just do a fresh install.

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I tried to do a fresh install :

1) The first time I used a boot disk then started winnt.exe from the I386 directory but it froze while copying installation files

2) I then booted from the cd but it stopped several times because files were missing so I swapped xp cds (I have about 6) to install the files until I ran into "ks.sys" which I did not have on any of my cds

3)So I just installed 98 and xp over it as I did in the first place, I have my task manager back

I made sure to format before installing 98.

8. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

Hmm if I get this right you can open taskmanager but u dont c the procces's ?
    u maybe only hafta go to the tab view and select collumns and click everything that u wanna c and it should work.
    Or am I just totally wrong here :confused:

lol just read the whole thread and I c that u allready installed win 98 on it :(

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

well when I did ctrl+alt+del something came up but it wasn'T task manager, it was some user list (with only one user on it because there's just one)and all I could do was log myself out or disconnect. I couldn't even see the tab menu. I couldn'T close it from within itself, I had to close it from the systray.

yes I installed 98 but xp right after on it. I can't get xp setup to work without 98 being installed, whether I boot from the cd or if I start setup ( \I386\winnt.exe) from the prompt, the setup needs files that it can'T find on the cd, that's the reason why I always use a bootdisk and win 98.

10. syngod

syngod Moderator

At the user login screen hit ctrl-alt-del and the Administrator user should come up, try logging into that account and see if you can get the process list to come up.

I'm guessing it may be a problem with user permissions from 98 to XP, if the method above doesn't work you may have to try a repair install of XP.

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

the thing is it worked for awhile before I had this problem so I do not think it is a 98 to xp issue

as for the repair, I did not repair I just destroyed :) and reinstalled

sure it took me 6 hours or so to get everything I had back on the hard drive but I feel safer that way

12. syngod

syngod Moderator

Can you take a screenshot of your task manager and attach it to this thread. I'm not sure exactly what tabs your missing but I'll try and figure out a way to get them back for you.

13. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

well I do not have the problem anymore but I'll try to find what I saw somewhere in the control panel or I don'T know but I'll try to find a way to show you what I saw

14. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

ok what I saw was the user tab in task manager.
    but I couldn't see any other tabs nor the name of the tab I was seeing.

All I saw was the user tab, and that'S it, no title bar, no menu, no tabs, no X to close the window, only the user tab

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

To take a screen shot, hit the Print Screen key, then open Paint and hit [Ctrl]+V to paste the screen shot in. Oh, and before you put something up, please make sure you use an image in a .jpg/.jpeg or .gif format. If you save it in a .bmp file, it can get rather large and be especially painful for those on dial-up.:)

You can attach file here in the reply section like this: (I've edited it to show ya exactly where and as to not take up a whole chunk of space)

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
  16. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

well i just told you what i was seeing so there's no need for a screen shot and I don'T even have the problem anymore and if you wanna see what i saw you go in xp, press ctrl+alt+del, click on the user tab and imagine the user tab with nothing else around it.

Plus I don't have the clipboard viewer even if I install it I cannot see it so I cannot retrieve what's in it

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, I don't see a 'User' tab here. I do have the following tabs however: Applications, Processes, Performance, Networking. All in that order.

I think that the Processes tab should be the one that pops up as default---unless you've checked another tab before hand.

18. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

yes the processes tab is the one you normally see first unless you close task manager with another tab selected.

I do have a "users" tab which is the right most one, next to networking.

I would take a screen shot but I can'T find the clipboard viewer.
    It's marked as installed in control panel/add or remove programs/add or remove windows components so I decided to uninstall it, restarted, then installed it again but I can't find it in accessories/system tools so even if I take the screen shot I cannot retrieve it

19. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You won't need clipboard viewer. Just open paint, and hit [Ctrl]+V.
    Then you can edit it as you wish.

20. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

how do I post attachments ?