The CD-RW unit is not powered. Zalman ZM600.

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Spyros, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Spyros

Spyros Geek Trainee

Hello.

Just recently I purchased a shinny new ZN600 PSU for my PC, because my old "no-name" one got toasted. :D

So far, I'm pretty much amazed by its noiseless operation and performance. Anyway, my PC doesn't have so high energy needs; it's a 2 years old Pentium D box running Ubuntu.

I wanted to install Debian just because I feel Ubuntu has got somewhat "Vista-ish" nowadays, so I needed to burn the netinstaller .iso to some blank media. I never use a CD/DVD drive, so I don't have one installed.

I plugged-in my old 52x TEAC CD-RW drive and connected the IDE and power cables. Tried booting, the led on the drive won't blink. I get suspicious. I try to open the tray, but the drive won't respond. I enter my BIOS, and the drive isn't listed. But the drive is NOT dead, it worked like a charm with my old PSU (the toasted one) like 3 months ago. I try different combinations of cables and slots (the PSU is modular) with no success. Simple as that, the PSU won't give any life juice to the drive.

Have anyone else experienced any similar problems? Do you have any ideas on how to proceed with this problem?

Please notice that, I've already e-mailed Zalman asking for support, but I was terrified by a message saying that I may need to wait some days (!) for their technicians to look into this matter.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you could try using a different molex connector because my PSU (Antec) the molex power connectors are a loose fit in my CD & HDDs, try using one on a different (different wire) rail as my connectors seem to be more loose than other wires (rails)

3. Spyros

Spyros Geek Trainee

I guess I'm really late to reply to this, but I was too busy these days. And no, not with my computer.

Unfortunately donkey42, the connectors are not a problem, as it seems. I tried putting back in place my Plextor DVD-RW drive, and it faces similar issues. The device gets powered on, but it won't respond. At least the led produces some light, unlike my TEAC drive which is more like dead.

Nevertheless, I've installed Debian from a USB stick (an extra 20€) I got. Of course the problem is NOT solved, but it doesn't matter now.

A lesson from this experience for me; I won't trust Zalman again. Never. It's not for their products not being good, but rather for the lack of support.