"This copy of Windows is not activated" - whaat??

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Gresim7, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Gresim7

Gresim7 Geek Trainee

Hi all

An icon appeared on my tray saying I needed to activate windows. When I went through the process it said it needed to validate my licence and asked me for the key, the long sequence of numbers on the original disk, etc.

I bought the PC 2nd hand about 2 years ago from a PC shop and it was already on there when I got it so I have no idea what the number is.

It says I have 30 days to activate it otherwise I can't use it.

Can someone please give me some advice what this all means in particular will I not be able to use my PC after the 30 days is up??

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

This has happened to me before and all i did was call up Microsoft and ask them for a new key code, they will give it for free and they don't ask many questions, but they will ask for old one. But i am sorry to say i cant remember the phone number or have it so i guess go on their website and find the number but get a toll free otherwise you will be paying loads.

I never found out why this happened to me, but i am very sure if you phone them up and explain to them the situation they will give you a new key but if your operating system is OEM then you might have trouble from MS.

Is it an OEM version?????

and is it XP????

one other thing call MS UK office and make sure it's toll free (they have toll free numbers)

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

If you right click on My computer,then choose properties you should see your serial number.
    Also you can retrieve your serial number by using a free program called Magic jelly bean.
    Allot of times this happens when you update from Microsoft...

4. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

ah ok i didn't know that

i just called up MS and they gave me new key to activate but never explained why this happens :doh:

5. lights

lights Geek Trainee

I have ben useing my Dad's oem xp cd. after the Kids caused several unmanageable problems on My pc, I have reinstalled several times. Plus some of these installs where corupped and I had a lot of trouble maintaining an internet conetection. Winsock fix, NetworkMagic, ect.... I finally got every thing to take hold, but now I get the 30 days to acctivate windows (The number of times you can use this cd has ben excieded) I never heard of that befor and wander if there wont be an issue over useing someone elses cd. I have had 3 xp cds and all were stollen. Any sudgestions?

6. lights

lights Geek Trainee

To add to ^, I just called MS and the they were more than happy to reactivate this cd. I told them I was useing my Dad's cd and that I had my own cd but that it was stollen. My old product ID is on the side of my pc but they didant even ask for it. I wont have that 30 days notice anymore. Hope this helps some of you Guys. MS is OK!

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The physical media isn't what MS is concerned about. CD's are cheap; it's the individual licenses where they make the money. As long as you have the key, the installation software isn't that big of a deal.
    The only real catch is if you've got a key for, say SP1, and you're trying to use an install disc for XP SP2. It won't take the key.

Here's a link with some stuff to help uncover the key.