ticking power supply...

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by canavarr, Sep 30, 2007.

1. canavarr

canavarr Geek Trainee

I'm having problems with turning on my new PC that I built recently.
    If I can manage to turn on the computer everything is ok. it runs perfectly. However, sometimes when I turn off the computer, the PSU starts to make a ticking noise (like there is a clock inside) after everything is shut down. And when this happens the computer doesn't re-start as long as the ticking continues. I don't know how/why the ticking goes away but when it does you can turn on the computer just fine. I'm not sure about this but it appears to me when I disconnect/reconnect the 20-pin power cord the ticking stops, and I can turn on the computer.
    The weird part is once the computer is on everything works fine, the ticking of the PSU doesn't start until after you shut down the computer. (in other words, the ticking never happens when the PC is on, it only starts when you turn off, and you can only turn on if it stops)
    I tried another brand-new PSU, but exactly the same thing happened. I tested both PSU's by jump starting them. Both managed to power a fan. My system is:

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
    cpu: Core 2 Duo e6750 (core temperatures are fine around 27 C)
    heatsink: freezer 7 pro
    PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS-430 Watt
    (as i said I also tried another PSU, and that was Cooler Master extreme power 5oo Watt)

I'd appreciate if you can guide me through solving this problem.

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Are you 100% sure the ticking is coming from your PSU/s? Seems strange that the same thing would happen to two different ones?

Try stripping the computer down to just PSU/MOBO/CPU/RAM/GFX and see if it still happens, it might be a drive on the way out, sounds can often fool inside a computer case.
    (Have you tried running the PSU from outside the case to make 100% sure the noise is from the PSU?)

3. canavarr

canavarr Geek Trainee

yes i'm 100% sure the ticking is coming from the psu.

4. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I suppose it could be something the motherboard is telling the ATX power supply to do, is it possible for you to try a different motherboard?
    [ot]
    I once had a shuttle motherboard that was so strange at things with power, you'd press the power switch and literally 3-4 mins later it would power on, very reliably but it was definitely the motherboard on the way out [/ot]

5. canavarr

canavarr Geek Trainee

I might try a different one, but as I said when I unplug the psu from the motherboard the ticking stops and works fine.