Touch Pad Problems

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Avrohom, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Avrohom

Avrohom Geek Trainee

I own an HP Vista laptop -- approx. four years old.

It is working nicely -- generally. The problem I am having is with the touch pad. When I got the computer, the scale on the right of the touch pad which is supposed to work like the wheel of a mouse to scroll up and down didn't work. Okay, I could live with that.

Actually, after I performed a restart of the whole computer from scratch -- this actually began to work!

But more recently, my left click button under my touch pad stopped working. It does nothing! So I have learned to tap the touch pad. But a double click hardly ever works.

You might say, use a mouse. Well, you are right, usually the mouse works very nicely. But for some strange reason, the mouse also has a certain problem: almost always when dragging with the mouse to select some text, the selection jumps around. It will skip the first few letters and then select a few and them skip some more. Or it will take a few letters and actually move them to later on in the selection! Quite frustrating.

And now the right click under my touch pad has stopped working -- more problems!

What should I do?

Avrohom

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

If you have not done so already, you should go to support.hp.com and then do a search for your particular hp laptop model. Once you find it, they have a drivers section. Go there and look under the mouse/keyboards area and look for a touchpad driver. I would install this and then reboot and see if it works after that. Also, you can check in your device manager to see if any of the items are listed with a ? or a ! listed in yellow. This means there is a problem with that piece of hardware. To open the device manager, right click my computer icon, then choose manage. The device manager should be listed in the window that opens, click on it and it will then show you the devices in your laptop. Also, if you go into safe mode, do the same problems happen? If they do not, chances are it is software based issue as safe mode uses minimal basic drivers to run. To get into safe mode, when you are booting the laptop, keep tapping the f8 key on the keyboard. This should bring up a list of methods you can boot to. Choose safe mode and after a few minutes, it should load up into safe mode for you to test.