trying to format hard drive

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Blue2Dead, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Blue2Dead

Blue2Dead Geek Trainee

i hooked up my other hard drive up to my main computer so i could go to my computer and format their but i get this i just wanna format it total erase. what am i doing wrong.

2. Blue2Dead

Blue2Dead Geek Trainee

i hooked up my other hard drive up to my main computer so i could go to my computer and format their but i get this i just wanna format it total erase. what am i doing wrong. it says windows cannot format this drive. quit any disk utilities or programs that are using this drive and make sure no window is displaying the contents of the drive. then formatting again.

3. Addis

Addis The King

Try going to start>run>cmd and then typing format d:
    where d is your drive letter, you may be able to schedule the format on next reboot.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Assuming you are using XP?

Start -> Run -> Type diskmgmt.mscand click ok, here you should see the new hard drive, which you can now format.

5. Blue2Dead

Blue2Dead Geek Trainee

ok addis's method worked. k im re-installing xp and i was just wondering if the c: drive should read as a partition?? its says partition1 [NTFS]. is this correct?? and what happens if i delete is as a partition does all the storage just become unpartitioned space??