unexpected shut downs and switch wireing

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by stevencarter, Oct 10, 2009.

1. stevencarter

stevencarter Geek Trainee

Hi I had an old computer that suddenly decided that if would turn itself off without warning –some times after a few seconds of starting up, some times after about 3 or 4 minutes or so .-I didn’t worry to much as I was going to up grade to a new computer anyway, which I did. I backed up the old HD fairly regularly and seem to have most things on the new computer now but I want to make sure by dumping the old HD on to my external HD and hence to the new one .Question how can I get my old computer to stay on long enough to do this? The obvious thing that occurred to me was to just “hot wire” across the switch so that the power could not be disconnected but there are several wires going in/out of the switch, or I had considered just removing the old HD and mounting it in an external case. It does not matter if I “fry” the old computer motherboard as I was going to dismantle the old computer for spares some time anyway just as long as it stays working long enough to dump the HD .Any comments or ideas? Thanks Steve