upgrade a late 2007 (3,1) Macbook Pro touchpad

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by usafmunk, Oct 23, 2011.

1. usafmunk

usafmunk Geek Trainee

I have a 3,1 Mackbook pro that I jut got back after sitting in my closet for years from Apple. It had died due to the NVIDIA GPU problem and due to the apple care running out on it just 2 months prior it has been sitting in my closet for years. I had found that Apple was issuing a free replacement logicboard if sent back for the recall.
    So after a long time trying to get the MBP up to date I came across a major problem: no multitouch. I have spent several days doing research on the possibility of installing a multitouch capable touchpad and have found many contradicting answers to this problem. The major theme to most of the forums I have read regarding this is saying I cannot just install a multitouch trackpad because the hardware is configured differently between the models and just say that it isn't possible. However I have found a few posts that have said it could be done if I was able to get a topcase of a 4,1 model (late 2008) MBP, even though the buttons on a key or two would be different and would have to be changed if i wanted them to coordinate with their function. unfortunately they never included instruction on how to do the swap.
    Seeing as this question is vary dated I have been unable to find many posts on this. I have done some amateur (hobbiest level really) assembly of PCs and laptops so as long as I am not doing major soldering of circuit boards I think I can handle this task. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Side note: No I do not wish to use a Mighty Mouse or Magic Pad. It is a laptop so I do not want to have to have accessories to be able to use it on the go.