UPGrading PSU

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by AaManiac, Jun 4, 2008.

1. AaManiac

AaManiac Geek Trainee

Hey All,

Just looking for a few opinions
    MY Specs are listed in the my computer drop down
    and I was wondering if there was a good PSU around $200 that will give me plenty of power as well as solid performance. (using NewEgg.com)

Thanks
    Maniac

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Looking at your specs, i dont think you need a high wattage PSU.
    Id say a good 500 would be more than enough, and cheap too.
    It would also leave you with some room for expansion in the future.
    Keep in mind these things:

1. Youre going to need a power supply that supports SLI (for your dual VGA'S)
    2. Your ABIT motherboard i believe needs a 24pin main power connector so make sure it has that (as well as an extra 4pin CPU connector)
    3. If your going to upgrade your video card in the future to lets say the Geforce 8600 or the 8800 series, make sure the power supply coems with 6-pin PCI-E cables
    4. The rest such as the number of molex connectors, sata connectors, and pci-e connectors is up to you.

Now, you can get pretty good PSU'S for a budget of $200 let me tell you that :chk: , but my advice is to cut it down a lot because, hey... you definitely dont want to spend that much on a psu. Heres what i recommend:

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Toughpower QFan Series W0151RU 500W ATX 12V 2.2/ EPS 12V 2.91 Power Supply 115/ 230 V CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CUL, and BSMI certified - Power Supplies
    Newegg.com - Antec Neo Power 500 500W ATX12V Power Supply 100Vac to 240Vac +/- 10% UL, CUL, TUV, CE, FCC, CCC, CB, C-tick - Power Supplies
    Newegg.com - ZALMAN ZM500-HP Continuous 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 Modular LED Heatpipe-Cooled SLI Power Supply - Power Supplies

Stick to the known brands such as Antec, Thermaltake (very good), Zalman, Coolermaster, Raidmax, OCZ (becoming pretty popular), Enermax... etc. Check out the customer reviews as well theyre pretty helpful!
    Hope you have helped ;)

3. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Had no problems with my Thermaltake Toughpower 600Watts, had it running good and strong for just over a year now.

4. AaManiac

AaManiac Geek Trainee