USA UK elec mains difference and printers ?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by DBenz, Nov 24, 2005.

1. DBenz

DBenz Geek Trainee

Buying a printer from the USA, having bid for it (not yet paidf for it) I now discover that the USA are 110V 60Hz and UK are 240V 50Hz. Is it possible to get adapters that allow USA kit to run ok under UK mains ? Surely there is a 240v to 110 v convereter, but what of the 50 - 60 Hz difference ?
    Its a useful type of printer that is sought after for the task I want it for and not coming up for sale here, whilst USA has a few still.

DBenz

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

4. DBenz

DBenz Geek Trainee

Matt555,
    That would appear to be a solution, thanks, I wonder about the 60Hz USA 50Hz UK difference, some say machines will run slower, some may overheat ?
    Wonder what the effect on a PC printer would be ref artwork etc.
    DBenz

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'm not sure, I don't know if that transformer would convert that difference, I suppose it would if it lets US equipment be used in the UK, I'm sure the designer/manufacturer would have taken that into consideration.
    As for the difference affecting the equipment (if not converted) I'm not sure, although it may do some damage as it's not running on it's ratings.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The 60Hz, 50Hz isn't the big issue, but the voltage is. We're talking about a 200% difference from the US to UK.