USB drive trouble

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Steve W, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Steve W

Steve W Geek Trainee

I have a small 8GB Maxell MDP-2 USB hard drive. I put some video files on it, but it's acting up so I decided to take the files off and bin it. However, although the files show up in my file manager, the videos won't play and they won't copy off to another device either.

I have tried numerous repair options on the drive, but they all show that the drive is okay with no errors. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me get the files off the drive?

The drive is formatted FAT32. I use both Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Looks like the TOC table on the device is corrupt. Your best bet is formatting the USB drive.

3. Steve W

Steve W Geek Trainee

Yes, that did occur to me. But I am trying to salvage the files that are already on the USB drive. I wondered whether anybody on this forum could suggest utilities that may enable me to access the files and save them off somewhere else...

4. Sophia Christchurch

Sophia Christchurch Geek Trainee

Try reformatting your USB Drive so that the TOC table on the device will be fixed...

5. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

Have you tried the Flash Drive in another PC?

6. Steve W

Steve W Geek Trainee

Yes, I have tried the drive in multiple PCs, mine and friends'. No joy. I don't want to reformat it, as I will lose the data already on there. I wondered if there was software that could retrieve the data irrespective of whether the FAT/TOC was corrupted...

7. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

try Easeus, I think it was Easeus Data Recovery or something.. I forgot the exact name, Easeus has lots of softwares.
    and another thing, I tried once, it was something like a bios or something, I was installing another OS, and the 500gb was partitioned into 3 Drives, 1 Main where the Win 7 was, 2 was the storage of all installers and files, 3 was supposed to be Backtrack.. So, after extracting backtrack iso to bootable usb. I installed it, but when I restarted, windows won't boot. so I messed around stuff, and I was able to get into a bios like setup where I can see and delete the files inside the HDD without booting into an OS.. Although I'm not 100% certain it can copy, and also I forgot how I managed to get into that.

8. Steve W

Steve W Geek Trainee

Okay, I will give it a go. Thanks!

9. Sophia Christchurch

Sophia Christchurch Geek Trainee

Maybe the file that you are trying to play is corrupted cause this usually occurs when files are corrupted...

10. Steve W

Steve W Geek Trainee

Afraid not - none of the files on the drive play.

11. allisonsmith

allisonsmith Geek

reformat your USB drive