USB to LAN converter to use USB 2.0 on 1.1 computers

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by flowda, Oct 5, 2007.

1. flowda

flowda Geek Trainee

I have a pc with USB 1.1, and I have a 500GB usb hard drive. In order to get USB 2.0 I plan to buy 2 USB to lan adapters, like that:

[Hard disk connected via USB]<--->[Lan to USB]<--->[Computer connected via LAN]

The only setback that I see is that each usb-lan may need to be conected directly to a computer and won´t work if connected to other devices, so I ask for help if someone can put some light on this.

The connector is this:

[​IMG]

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Does the second computer have USB 2.0? If not, the LAN adapters will still be subject to the 12kb limitation of USB 1.1. It won't upgrade it to the USB 2.0's 480Mb transfer speed.

I don't know how much those USB LAN dongles are, but if you have a free PCI slot in each system, you may very well find a couple 10/100 NIC's for cheap. Some basic ones are around $10-15, maybe cheaper. Most systems in the past 4-5 years come equipped with a NIC, so you may not need these adapters anyway.

To access the drive, you'll need to make sure it's shared and that the computers are on the same network.

3. flowda

flowda Geek Trainee

I think you did not understand waht I try to say. After some search on ebay, I found this:

Female USB A to Male Ethernet RJ45/8P8C Plug Connector / Adaptor.

[​IMG]

The usb hard disk goes on the usb male side and the computer on the other. Can this be done? If yes, how may I "see" the hard disk via network?
    Thanks for you help.

4. flowda

flowda Geek Trainee

Well i think I have found a solution. I am going to buy some usb expansion slots via pci:

[​IMG]

I was told on a shop that it was not possible to get usb 2.0 on boards with 1.1, but an expert told me out of line that I can achieve usb 2.0 independent of the motherboard. :rolleyes: