Using PSU externally for testing

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Bernie Marquardt, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Bernie Marquardt

Bernie Marquardt Geek Trainee

Hi there. I just built a new PC. Nothing happens when I turn on the power switch, except maybe a try on the part of the CPU Cooler fan and the PS Fan. I figure that the Power Supply is not strong enough. It only delivers 15 A and 237W at 12V Aside from my system load, which is basic at this point, I'd like to know if I can hook up another power supply without actually installing it in the chassis, just to test. Any concerns about grounding? Thanks in advance.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

It really should be in the case for grounding, Just install it and only use 2 of the screws ... What is it you want to do ? Do you just want to test the PSU to see if it starts Or are you trying to to start your computer with the other PSU ??

3. Bernie Marquardt

Thanks, Ghostman 1. My idea is to test if the system starts with the other power supply, which I know to deliver--an Enermax 620. At this point, I am not even getting any Bios on the screen. Just a green light on the motherboard. And the CPU fan tries to spin, but gives up.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

If this is a new build then check the front panel wires to make sure they are connected right ...Mainly the power switch.. Also make sure all the connections to the Motherboard are tight...You can test your power supply out of the case by using a paper clip, Bend it into a U shape and plug it into the green wire and one of the black wires...The PSU should go on if it is good..

5. Bernie Marquardt

Thanks again, Ghostman 1. Well, the other PSu didn't fare any better. All I get is a green LED light coming on on the motherboard, and the fans try to turn but give up. So now my problem has nothing to do with PSUs.

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Hate to say it , but it sounds like the Motherboard Might be bad..