Virtual Memory

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Jecht, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

:confused: i have a computer here that will not boot, because it brings up an error box 2 times. This error occurs on the windows xp pro blue screen, just before desktop loading.

"Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low"

Your System is low on Virtual Memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual Memory Paging File. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied.

All i know of this system is that its an HP Pavillion with a celeron, running xp pro using fat32. i know how to change the paging file size, but it wont boot past the 2 same error messages. thx bunches

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What I'd do is see if you can boot of an XP disc and get to the recovery console. Run /chkdsk on C: from there. I forget the parameters, but you can type /chkdsk \? (I think that's the right context, but the slashes might be wrong---guess who doesn't do much console work? ;))

The other thing I'd do is after you get it restored, seriously consider converting the filesystem to NTFS. It's a bit more robust than FAT32 and is worth the conversion.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It sounds like there were multiple HDDs in the system at one time, and now one is missing. I've always fixed it by booting to a Linux distro and editing the appropriate files, be they in a config file or a registry key. I can't remember exactly the procedure for an NT system like XP, but I'll see what I can dig up; I'm pretty sure it's a registry key. As for the actual registry editing, use NT Password Changer, a little bootable Linux disk that'll allow you to edit the registry and change passwords.

All the best,
    -AT

5. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

how do u get into safemode on an hp pavillion? via xp cd? and what can i do from the recovery console big b? thx guys

oh yeah also, the system does a beep every second, some kinda system beep message that i dont know

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Safe Mode is accessed by pressing F8 repeatedly on system startup and allows the computer to start up in an empty state where only the necessary drivers and services are needed!
    Safe Mode and the recovery console are about the only ways to fix it without doing a reinstall of windows, unless of course your an expert user of OS's and know all the command line parameters!

7. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

coo thx for the quick reply, im gonna work on it tomm and try all these things out, i'll let ya know how it goes

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You can get to the recovery console (Assuming you can't get to safe mode with command prompt first) by booting off the WinXP CD (like you're going to install), but when you go to 'install' XP on the drive, it'll ask if you want to repair it. That's what you want. You'll need to know the admin password if there was one put in, and if you don't, AT's links with the tools would be very helpful.