Western Digital Raptor

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by urb1972, Sep 14, 2005.

1. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

I'm thinking about getting one for the fast SATA speed.

But I've only seen one that's tiny, less than 40 gig.

This doesn't bother me much, as I'd have the OS and multiplayer games on that, and the rest on another drive.

I take it you can have the slave HD through normal ATA? Does it matter if this one is slower? I was gonna get another WD or a Seagate Barracuda.

What do people think of the Raptor though? Good idea?

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Raptors are good, there is a 74GB version, but i presonally wouldnt buy one unless i had lots of money, i'd rather buy a HDD with a larger amount of storage on it but thats personal choice.

urb1972 likes this.
  3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

raptors, they may be fast, but there not worth it, i would rather have a 400gb ide HDD than one of those any day.

urb1972 likes this.
  4. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

I don't really crave storage, though. I've had a 60gb HD for the last three years!

Speed is more important but if the Raptor ain't that great, I may as well not bother with it.

So which is better for Quality, Longevity, Speed - WD or Seagate?

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

they're both good for longeavity and quality, but their standard drives aren't very different in speed, the raptors are faster though.

urb1972 likes this.
  6. Willz

raptors are just a silly waste of money.

urb1972 likes this.
  7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

not everyone needs all that storage, sometimes people want that little bit more speed, its personal choice.

urb1972 likes this.
  8. Addis

Addis The King

With the Caviar and Barracuda drives, I'd tend to go towards the Seagate drives. They are quieter usually, and good reliability. i'm not saying the Caviars aren't but its my choce.

urb1972 likes this.
  9. urb1972

urb1972 Geek Trainee

I was originally going to go for Seagate anyway, but WD caught my eye.

Still I'd rather go with a brand named after a fish, rather than the eggs of one :O

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i've had a barracuda 7200.7 for the past 2 years, done me well, no problems whatsoever...

11. Willz

this WDC i have, it runs at about 45 degrees max, its hotter than my 160gb samsung hard drive, that samsung hard drive has done me well, its :good:

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Raptor runs at 10,000RPM, and is the only SATA hard drive line to do so. WD does not have a SCSI division any more, so they can have an ATA drive with that spindle speed. As an enterprise drive, the drive is more robust in tolerances, like SCSI drives are, which adds to the cost. These aren't meant to be cheap drives, nor should they, given the intended market.

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah raptors are more directed at the enthusiast who craves their system to be as fast as is physically possible, for the average-high end user a 7200 RPM drive is sufficient, if you want a bit more speed put 2 in a RAID-0 configuration