What is this

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Swansen, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah i found this the other day on Nvidia's website and i don't really know what it is.
    Nvidia_Machine

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

to be honest i dont know, i think it could be a grfx setup requiring an existing SLI system, but it looks like a pc but doesn´t have any system specs (except requirements)

so i think its just a grfx solution that happens to come with a case (no PSU) and is rack mountable

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah that along the lines of what i was thinking, i dunno

4. zeus

zeus out of date

The nvidia quattro is a graphics card which is designed for rendering so maybe its a bloody big extrenal graphics card which plugs into your PCIe slot, somehow. In fact the more I look at it the more it seems that way.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's a $17,000+ external graphics processor. I'm not sure how many GPU's are in that thing, but the little I've heard about it is absolutely insane.

6. zeus

zeus out of date

$17,000 !

I wonder how much the likes of disney pay to render their films? The few 30 second videos ive rendered took about 3 days to produce the frames so I bet they are happy to pay 10 times that, probably more.

7. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

thats sweet, i want one

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

wow, i bet you could play games that look 100% real on that thing even tho its designed for stuff like making films.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

It probably wouldn't do too good at games, it's powered by the Quadro GPU's - they're designed for rendering.

I think basically it's to allow a massive GPU upgrade on your existing rig (although it'd have to be of high-server level to justify that upgrade)
    I think they'd have to use PCI-e for those, I think you'd have a rather long PCI-e extender from the rig to that unit.

I would think it'd be used for uber high-res graphics and film, just a guess really though.

10. Addis

Addis The King

Have 10 of those into a server rendering farm, sweet ass processing....

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

do they use the PCIe ?
    or do they process grfx for multiple workstations on a network ?

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I've changed my wording, I'd originally typed it differently, but must have re-written it.

The reason I thought of PCI-e is because of the bandwidth involved. I would have thougt sending all that over a network would take time.

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well thats true, but, maybe if it's for developing future technologies, the time delay may be accepted because future technologies will obviously be quicker

14. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

gigabyte network maybe

15. Willz

it's just a comp with some quadro gpu's in aint it, look at the front, its got what looks like USB ports.

Oh yea there is specs too, 2 to 4 GPU's

16. theonlycarmire

theonlycarmire Geek Trainee

I was just at the siggraph convention in Boston on august 2nd, and I was at nVidia stall, and I was looking at a bunch of these. What they are are boxes that render 3D scenes, and they do it very fast. It's already been said, but there's like 2-4 GPU's in each box, and they run f**kin fast!

Very nice hardware, wish I could afford one myself :)

17. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yes just something i thought of but they would also double as a space heater

18. theonlycarmire

theonlycarmire Geek Trainee

19. Willz

those things should have liquid cooling!