What PSU companies are good?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Addis, May 21, 2004.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Before i replace my mobo, (my beloved k7n2) i want to know whether a power supply can damage a mobo. What do people mean when they say stable outputs? Is it stable voltages? My PSU is a Codegen 400W. Could this PSU be the problem? I don't want to splash out on a new mobo and get the same problem. (my parents would kill me). My voltages:
    core voltage 1.63
    12v about 11.90ish. The voltages seem to vary but only slightly and not so quickly. Would my current specs need more than a 400W?

MSI K7N2 delta-L
    Athlon 2700
    Seagate barracuda 7200.7 120gb w 8mb cache
    LG cd-rw
    GeForceFX 5900 (gainward powerpack 1100)

How is CodeGen for PSUs anyway? Thanks for any help. :good:

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Right now, I run a Sparkle 350W unit in my main box. I also use Antec and Kingwin 350W units with other boxes. I'm running a Deer 250W unit in my file server, but I think they're kinda lower-end. If you have some serious cash to burn on a PSU, PC Power & Cooling are basically the Rolls Royce of PSU's.

If the PSU is good, 300W should be plenty. I personally have yet to have trouble running anything with a solid 350W.

Your voltages look fine.

3. Addis

Addis The King

thanks. i'm trying to single out the problem in my comp. Once i get the new mobo i should be playing my favourite games again. Its been sooooooooooo long.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Voltages will fluctuate, but the less they do the better. As long as it's not more than +/-5%, you're fine.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I have had problems running systems on a 350watt PSU that actually quite good, and not defective either. The system would act erraticly and crash / hang often after I upgraded to a thoroughbred CPU from a T-Bird. It may have had something to do with the 120mm fan in that system (that's a lot of power consumption), but in any case the problems dissapeared after I upgraded to a 475watt Enermax PSU.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I had the same problem when I flashed my 9800 to a pro. The system would be extremely slow when I flashed but would return to normal when I flashed back to the original bios. Replacing the psu for an Antec TruePower 480W did the trick (I had an Antec 350W which still works in another computer).

7. Addis

Addis The King

thanx. i'm sure its not my psu so new mobo for me yaaaa!

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I recommend the Soltek 75FRN2-R/L/RL

No bells and whistles but a great performing beast, and ocs great too, and is very cheap.