what PSU do you recommend for my pc?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by xrevenge, Jan 22, 2010.

1. xrevenge

xrevenge Geek Trainee

I'm currently building a pc, I've got everything covered except the PSU, I don't know what I should get, here are the system specs:

CASE: Thermaltake VJ70001N2Z WING RS 200 BLACK (doesn't have a PSU)
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB (2 CORSAIRS of 4 GB each)
    GPU: XFX RADEON HD 5850 XXX Edition (requires a PSU with 500+ Wat power)
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P6T Deluxe
    SCREEN: Samsung Syncmaster 2243SN (requires a constant 45 W for display)
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB SATA2
    DVD RECORDER: Sony OPTIARC AD-7241S DVD-RW WHITE BULK
    SWEEX WIRELESS KEYBOARD & OPTICAL MOUSE 2.4 GHZ
    TEAC SPEAKERS X-4 BLACK
    WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM

should I get one with something like 650 W power just to play it safe?

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Important things you should look at when buying a PSU are:
    1. Efficiency
    2. Is the brand trusted?
    3. Modular or not
    4. Will there be room for upgrade?

Firstly, The higher the percentage of efficiency is, the less power a power supply is going to use to run your computer. Typically, the efficiency of a quality power supply is between 75 and 85%. You'll want one with 80% or higher.

Next, there are many PSU's with trusted brand names such as: Antec, CoolerMaster, Thermaltake, Raidmax, Corsair, Enermax, OCZ, and a few more. Although this is an opinion, ratings suggest that these brands are the most reliable.

If you want to save loads of space in your case, then go for a PSU that has removable wires (modular). I'm sure you'll have extra cables dangling around in your case that you won't need so why not store those cables some place safe and save some room? Plus, you can show off that sexy CPU cooler of yours ;)

Finally, you want a PSU with enough wattage to upgrade your PC. You never know when you'll need extra RAM or might want to add an extra VGA card to CROSSFIRE/SLI your cards.

I think 650W is a good choice. Wouldn't hurt to go up a bit in terms of price. Check these out:
    Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply - Power Supplies
    Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 TRX650MPCUSA 650W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

3. edijs

edijs Programmer

I second scorps.
    +
    I would take a 700W or a 750W rated 80+, rather. That would ensure that you don't have to change it when adding something new and system stability under max load.

4. xrevenge

xrevenge Geek Trainee

I came to edit the post since I've found one, its a CORSAIR HX650W but anyway thanks guys