What to Upgrade to from GF4 Ti-4600

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by RavynX, Dec 7, 2005.

1. RavynX

RavynX Geek Trainee

Hey all, I got the GeForce4 Ti-4600 about 4 years ago and it's been a champ the whole time! But recently I've started to notice it bogging a little when playing World of WarCraft such as zoning in to the major cities or in big PvP raids with 80 people on my screen. Lagging also occurrs when I'm multitasking with video going, music playing, WoW in the background, and other programs. My PC Specs are below.

Anyways, I'm thinking it's almost time to upgrade. Having the cutting edge would be sweet, but not cost efficient. I'm looking for a decent upgrade that will allow me to run high res in Half-Life2, Doom3, WoW, etc. Suggestions in different price ranges would be awesome. :D

Edit: My PC Specs
    (Self Built)
    AMD 64 3200+ Winchester
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard
    Enermax Noisetaker 420W PSU
    1 Gig PC3200 RAM
    GF4 Ti-4600 Video
    SB Audigy 2 Sound
    120 Gig SATA Drive

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

How much are you looking at spending?

3. Addis

Addis The King

A decent upgrade from that card will be the new X800GTO AGP cards, but depends on your budget.

4. RavynX

RavynX Geek Trainee

Well, I'm hoping to put it on my Xmas list. So maybe $100-$300.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You can find Radeon X800Pro, X800GTO's and X800's for under $200. If you look around, you can probably find a GeForce 6800GS or 6800 for under $300.

6. RavynX

RavynX Geek Trainee

7. phalc0n

phalc0n Geek Trainee

I'm in the same boat as you 'cept i'm upgrading from a ati 9000 (is that older?). Actually I think my mobo is the same but you got me beat on the cpu (i have the 3000). I'm looking at getting <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=14-102-608"> this </a> and it apears to be a good buy from what I know. There is also <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130258"> this sale going on </a> but thats pci express. All these gs gto xt tis confuse the crap out of me but the X800GTO is the one i think im going for and newegg has the lowest price on pricewatch (and newegg is awesome anyway)

8. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Don't mean to pick at you or anything, but this is a forum so the URL commands should be used for external links and not ahref :)

9. I suggest buying a 6600 GT 256 meg, or if you are willing to send the money, a 6800 GT (I am selling one). I am assuming you have an AGP board also, so the 6800 GT might be a little hard to find. If you want to spend about $250 bucks, nVidia is coming out with one last AGP card soon, the 7800 GS which will perfrom slightly better thna the 6800 GS and slightly worse than the 7800 gt. It will be replacing the 6800 gt agp.