Whats wrong with Sticky Threads

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Karanislove, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

There are some threads which I believe needs to be sticky but nobody is taking a step. I know its not my duty to tell which one to stick but these guys have spended their precious time in writing this thread for the users of this website, to make their work easier and this website more informative as most of the time peeps come out with the same querry.

[link=http://www.hardwareforums.com/howto-install-second-hard-disk-part-1-a-11390/]HOWTO: Install A Second Hard Disk (Part 1) [/link] by megamaced (staff member)

[link=http://www.hardwareforums.com/modifying-your-xp-sp2-firewall-inf-file-11258/]Modifying Your XP SP2 Firewall INF File [/link] by Pelvis3 (staff member)

Both of them are staff member and I think they dont have rights to stick the thread on the top.

what do you guys say about this?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Only moderators and admins have the ability to sticky threads. Megamaced, pelvis_3, Addis, and ninja_fetus are News Crew members, which means they have the same priveleges as a regular member, but have the ability to make threads in the News and Articles section. Megamaced's thread is not in a sticky, but it is linked in a sticky. Stickies are great, but we were starting to get several of them in the Storage Devices forum.

I like stickies, but that doesn't eliminate questions that pop up. As much as we'd like people to read, that simply isn't the reality here, or on other forums.

Mods and Admins sticky pretty much as we see fit. Pelvis_3's thread is good, but I think it's due time to just slap one thread with links to all the good threads in that forum.

Also, realize that this forum is not a democracy. It's not to say we won't take suggestions or look into things, but ultimately we will operate how we see fit. Not for us, but for the forum as a whole.

3. Addis

Addis The King

We're actually getting quite a lot of guide threads, and they all can't be stickied. Also, the modifying inf guide, while helpful isn't done by a lot of people, and only those on windows. A stickied thread with links to these would serve better.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I'm glad you liked it Karanislove :)

When I get some spare time, I will post the follow-ups 'Using FDISK' and 'Using Disk Management'. I want to do one for Linux as well, but I am hoping someone will help me out a little with that ;)

If I recall, there was a discussion a while ago about creating a forum for 'HOWTOs' where members could contribute. I still think that's a good idea. A one-stop-shop full of guides and tutorials for all our computer problems :)

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

http://www.hardwareforums.com/computer-workshop-project-10269/
    Do you mean that one?
    I agree that not all threads can be stickied but the idea of one stickied thread in each section with links to the helpful posts is a good one.

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Yes.

There's no point going into it too much here, as we have discussed it in that thread. I just wanted to serve a little reminder :)

7. Karanislove

I agree with all of you guys....1 thread, which links all the important threads. :beer:

[ot]
    lol. Yes, but the rule is little bit different......... Govt of the people and for the people but not by the people.~!
    [/ot]

8. Karanislove

Thanks Big B for considering me!

I 've one more thing coming in my mind.....Is it possible that if you can give a little bit explanation with each link?

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'll have to look at the threads in comparison with the links.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I agree, that might make things a little easier to understand the content of the thread - although the titles do cover it.