Which is better: Manual or Automatic?

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Big B, Sep 15, 2004.

?

What type of Transmission

1. Automatic

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Manual

29 vote(s)
    78.4%
  1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Though I drive a car with an automatic transmission, a manual (stick) is much more fun to drive. Of course, learning on one while learning to drive sucks.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

My mom ground threw 3 transmissions on a triumph tr6. she still doesnt know how to shift properly! :rolleyes:

I like manuals because they tend to sound better, like an automatic is just smooth, a manual gives an oompf when you shift

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I guess automatic gives you one less thing to think about when driving, but manual gives you more control!

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I prefer manual because you get a much better feel of the car than with an automatic.

5. Mack

Mack Big Geek

My friend works in a pizza delivery shop in long Island. According to him, considering that in this line of work one has to change the speed of the car abrubtly, moreover, the signals are very closeby, changing the gear often times can be very annoying.
    The good thing is that you can really build your arm muscles like that.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I think manual is better for everything but city traffic and towing! :cool:

7. iKwak

iKwak Geek Trainee

I prefer an auto myself.

8. Addis

Addis The King

I wouldn't want to learn to drive on an auto. You do get that good sound when you change with a manual though.

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I think everyone has to learn to drive using manual anyway? as automatic is just a option for the lazy ones! hehe

10. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well spoken! :D Besides, if you learn using a manual, Auto is the same thing, but without the shifting/clutching! Two birds with one stone, baby. :p

11. Fred

Fred Moderator

I prefer manual. When I'm the one shifting, it feels more like I know what's going on with my vehicle. Also, you can better control the RPMs and you can get better milage with a manual.

12. Emu

Emu Geek Trainee

HAHA, when I learnt to drive I only drove standard, until i wrote off the car.... When i was driving my friends car one night he pointed out I shifted the car off in drive and pulled the e-brake... Boy is auto difficult to learn.

13. Kez

Kez Geek Trainee

Defo Manual. You have much greater control over the car..

I know a guy, who bought a brand new BMW automatic, came up to a bad bend and couldnt slow the car down quick enough.. He wrote it off. If he had been driving manual, he could have dropped to second and slowed the car down alot quicker and saved himself a car. Was such a nice car too!!

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I can't truely say as I've never driven a standard but auto's seem so much more simple and give you more freedom. You don't have to keep thinking about what you're doing as much, let the car do the work. I think everyone learns on an auto these days anyways.

15. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Not true, as I know you get a choice (depending on where you learn to drive and who with) between manual and automatic drive. But the law states that if you learn and get your licence with an automatic you can only drive automatic cars, you cannot drive a manual until you learn and pass your test with a manual. But if you pass with a manual you can drive both legally. Does make sense even if it sounds strange.

Personally, I prefer manual drive, no idea why, I just feel more comfortable knowing my car has a clutch pedal.

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Must be different in that states then, I learned with an auto and that's what eveyone offers around in Maine at least. If you get your licesnce you can drive whatever the heck you want so long as it's still a Class C card/truck (otherwise you need a new license for that type of vehicle).

17. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

State? I live in England boy, England. :p

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Lol, no I was refering to my situation, the States as being different from England as I've seem in you location:)

19. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I think manuals are better. Less weight, better control over rpm's, less maintanaince and cheaper to rebuild.

20. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I should reallly get around to trying one so I can see what you guys are on to.