Which motherboard?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Jackal, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

I would have to go with albatron. they offer pretty stable boards, although the cons you may see in the newegg website. if you want to up your budget a bit, you may want to consider this I have this board, and I've had zero problems, nada, none whatsoever and it's gaming speed is like 'up there'. it's like 20 bucks more, so its really up to you.

3. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

Bump?

4. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

Bump up your budget a bit if you can. The boards you've picked are sometimes unstable. boards like Asus, Gigabte, DFI, Abit... these are the boards to pick if you want a stable, fast system. Another stable SLI board that won't break the bank is the Asus A8n sli or the deluxe version of that, they're the oldest, but the most mature board out there. so ill suggest you go with either the Gigabyte K8N Pro SLI or the Asus A8n SLI

Asus A8N SLI $105
    Gigabyte K8N PRO SLI $99

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

by saying "Bump up your budget" he means raise your budget (ie. spend more money)

6. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

lol... I wasn't asking what he meant. I was bumping to see if there were more responses.

7. Nvidia SLi

Nvidia SLi Geek Trainee

If gaming Is one of your main priorities, I would have to recommend the Asus 8AN32 SLi Deluxe Motherboard, retailing currently In the United Kingdom for approximately £130 ($260). Accompanying Nvidia's new NForce 4 SLi x16 chipset, the only negative aspect to this motherboard, In my opinion, Is the positioning of the boards PCI Slots. The some what "cramped" design makes SLi implementation more difficult, immediately limiting you, depending on the size of the initial GPU, to far fewer PCI expansion slots. Although this clearly Is a key factor in selecting a new motherboard, it's a worthy sacrifice to make. The Asus 8AN32 SLi Deluxe Is simply a gaming haven, with all the added extra's anyone could ever wish for. In addition, It may be worth your while to check out the motherboards developed by DFI and MSI, these are also very good boards, and typically retail cheaper than the Asus board mentioned above. Good luck, whatever your decision, I hope everything works out.

8. Jackal

Jackal Geek Trainee

Thanks Roy. I decided to bump my budget and get that Asus board. It's all coming in friday. :D

If anyone's interested on some of the rest of the computer's specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    2GB(1024x2) of PC3200
    GeForce 7900 GT
    SATA 160GB HDD
    A decent monitor... (17" LCD, 8ms).
    A nice case. (Antec SONATA II)
    --Total of $1,300.

And that's all... I'll post the results of this build later on, (hopefully all goes well).

9. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

Great! I'm sure you'll be happy with that board.