Which one is better?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by TheBloodyBaron, Jun 15, 2009.

1. TheBloodyBaron

TheBloodyBaron Geek Trainee

Hi all,
    My current PC config is pretty weak, E2160 @ 2.2GHz, ATI HD 2400 Pro and 2GB DDR2 RAM. I want to upgrade to a 9600GT or a 9800GT, but the problem is that my ASUS 350W PSU only outputs a maximum of 19A on the +12V rail whereas these 2 gfx cards need at least 30A. Another problem is that it doesn't come with a PCI-e connector (though I could use a Molex to PCIe connector but the first problem remains).

So I'm in search of a decent PSU. I come from a poor country, so can't really spend much on luxury items like these. I want to choose from either one of these two (both cost Rs.5000 or just over $60):

ASUS 500W
    Cooler Master eXtreme Power 600W

IN SHORT:

- Which one is better?
    - Can either run a 9800GT without problems?

IN LONG:

Now I know Cooler Master doesn't exactly make the best PSUs, but then again 600W is pretty over-kill for my setup anyway (even with a 9800GT). It has 2x PCIe connector so its pretty future-proof if I ever decided to pop in an HD4870 for example, but what worries me is that the +12V1 and +12V2 output combined is only 34A, and since PSUs can't output their max on both rails at the same time, does it mean that it won't be able to run my new gfx card? Another thing is that uses the old v2.01 form factor.

Moving onto the ASUS one, it's +12V1, +12V2 and +12V3 combined output is 54A, so it can, at least output 30A at one time, right? Another thing it has going for itself is that it uses the newer v2.02 form factor.

I'm personally leaning towards the ASUS one, but I need help in deciding which one is better.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

Lol..India isnt a poor country buddy...

I'm going for the Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650W myself...its costing me around 4.5 grand..go for it..optimum for the 9800 gt..has 2 pci connectors..has 18A on 2 12v rails..so thats also taken care of..

3. TheBloodyBaron

TheBloodyBaron Geek Trainee

That's the problem :p 18A on 2 rails means a total of 36A, but the catch is that the PSU can't output the max of both rails at any one given time. Similar is the case with my current ASUS 350W. the +12V1 has an output of 14A, while the +12V2 has an output of 16A, but it is said that max combined output is only 19A.

And this is where the ASUS one is better. Its' 3 +12V rails have a combined output of 52A, so it should definitely be able to output at least ~30A at any given time. Also, it uses the new 2.0.2 form factor....and its a renowned brand as well. Cooler Master makes quality cases and cooling, but I've read their PSUs aren't that good.

Just remember, the PSU is the most important part of your PC, and that's why I wanna be absolutely sure I'm getting the right thing......even though I'm reasonably sure that both can run a 9800GT without issue.