Why are these forums so dead?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jack99999, Jan 1, 2012.

1. jack99999

jack99999 Geek

It takes forever to get replies.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

We try to do the best we can, Not all of us can sit here all day and answer Questions..

3. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

A lot of forums are hurting right now jack...social-networking sites are killing forum communities. Which is why we just launched Partner Sites-Friends of TAZforum. I've tried on several occasions in the past to enlist Sniper in some kind of co-operative effort because this is the first site I joined coming on the Net, and compared to then Hardwareforums is barely a skeleton of it's former self.

Back in 2004 this place was booming...hopefully Sniper will see the forest despite the trees and consider becoming a Partner Site.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

5. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

Hey donkey I'm glad you caught that, thanks! Signature updated! ;)

When I opened TAZforum in December 2005 we had over 50,000 posts the first year. And, like here, it's been in slow decline ever since. The only forums that aren't hurting are the big boys with millions of posts and even they've seen a decline. Unless there's a renaissance and forum communities become popular again it's going to get worse. In my opinion we need to cooperate just to survive.

Or...accept we're old-news...give up and close our doors. ;)

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no probs, presumed it was a mistake, didn't realize it was your sig.

not nessisarly, mostly users would prefer an explaination of how it should be, then hopefully they'll tell you what is wrong before you, which is exactly how forums are.

7. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Yeah, HWF had it's time. Even in 07, when i signed up, posts were flying everywhere and questions were answered the same hour it was posted.

I've spoken to Sniper several times about it. About what we think could revive the forum. If you compare HWF to the big boys (toms, bit-tech...) you'll see they have one thing that we don't. And that's current events.
    Like the abandoned Zone365 (now: http://geekreport.com/), it provided users a whole other world of interaction. A place where you had users write articles about the new features the iphone 4s would have, pictures of ces 2011 events... that sorta thing. I think a merge between the two is just the thing to spark the forum back up. Well, that, advertisements, and some more eye-popping eye candy. Don't get me wrong though, I love the current layout.

It wouldn't be easy though. Running a site like toms or bit-tech. A "news" site would mean staying up all night and gather the latest information - and then posting it!

8. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I always feel home here though - empty or full :)

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:agree: yep, me too. :)

personally i prefer HWF, well just search for my posts in General Chat, you'd think i should be banned for some of the posts, but i'm still here, anyway, i'm not going anywhere

10. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

HWF for life.

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:agree: yep, like i said: i'm going nowhere