Win7 Htpc Not Responding (no Display, No Bsod)

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by nicky9499, May 14, 2015.

1. nicky9499

nicky9499 Geek

Hi all,

Of late my living room PC has had this alarming habit of simply becoming unresponsive - no display output, USB devices stop working (if you reconnect a mouse the sensor doesnt light up), only option is for hard reset.

I checked Event Viewer after each time it happened and always, about 12~16 hours before I discover the hang, up to 200 similar Warnings are generated. They are:

- The filter host process #### did not respond and is being forcibly terminated.
    - The protocol host process #### did not respond and is being forcibly terminated {filter host process ####}.

Googled these but there are hundreds of #### codes and no results regarding a wholesale shutdown of so many processes. The hard drive access lamp is also 100% on.

This is Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, running on an Intel G2030, not overclocked. No discrete sound or graphics card installed. Used mainly as 24/7 storage, not many programs - very lightweight. Updated to SP1. No hardware upgrades lately. Have no idea what's going on but it has me very concerned.

Can anyone advise please?

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Whats the Event : ID Number ? Sounds like a power supply.. Or Motherboard..

4. nicky9499

nicky9499 Geek

10023 and 10024, both from SearchGatherer. I've already tried rebuilding the index cache.

Unlikely to be the power supply or hardware fault as this setup worked flawlessly for almost a year since I built it. Only recently did it start doing this no-display thing.

5. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

So you think that computer parts never broke and work forever?

Another thing is that reinstalling Windows solves many problems.

6. nicky9499

nicky9499 Geek

You know, if the parts in question were over a decade old, I might see some reason in your logic, but these are less than a year old. In fact I have a small Pentium 4 Northwood + MSI 850 system that I use to recover data for other people. I built it in 2002 - very first build too - and it is still going strong. Despite it's historical and sentimental value, as a reasonable human being I do not expect these to work forever.

Yes, of course reinstalling Windows solves ALL problems - in the same way buying a new car solves a problem with its timing belt or leaky radiator. It's lazy and idiotic problem-solving. In fact it's not problem solving at all because you're just sticking your head in the sand and hoping 6 months down the road you don't face the same problem. People like you are not much different from those who like to say "just google it" or "RTFM". Countless times while searching for solutions to assorted issues I've come across the "reinstall Windows fix", and it's utterly stupid because the people advocating such an approach are being no help at all, and the people who follow such inane advice don't learn anything at all.

If you wreck your car, then by all damned means buy a new one. But I don't have 42 corrupted partitions, none of which can boot, half are missing boot sectors and the other half infested with malware. So no thank you I will NOT be reinstalling Windows.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

How long does it take before this happens ? your problem can be a number of things.. Power/Heat/ Memory/Hard drive... This come down to testing each piece of hardware.. Could also be CPU..

8. nicky9499

nicky9499 Geek

I can't give you solid stats on that as this machine is on 24/7, most of the time unattended and unmonitored. If you'd like me to trawl for more Event logs I can do so.

A chap on Microsoft Answers asked me to do an SFC scan - which I did - but didn't say what to do with the results. Raised a flag: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log."

I have uploaded the logs here. If you're able, can I trouble you, or any technically-inclined passerby to take a look please? Thank you.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, corrupt files will do some damage. Before you get too involved in trying to replace the corrupted files or reinstall Windows, it might be a good idea to make sure you don't have something else causing them. See if Memtest brings up some errors, and also see if your hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics show any issues with drive(s).

If you want to replace the files, you can. I don't know the exact way off hand, but it probably does exist. Failing that, and trying to avoid a clean install of Windows, you could install Windows on top of itself.
    I know you've blown off the power supply, but just because it "works" doesn't mean it's good or solid. If your +12V (which powers pretty much all the components these days) is starting to go bad, it's going to give you some issues. Not saying it is the issue, but don't write it off simply because it's newer.

10. nicky9499

nicky9499 Geek

This being Windows, yea it sounds reasonable some files might have corrupted themselves or something. However, I don't understand the CBS logs and don't know what files need to be replaced/repaired. I will reboot to run Memtest later and check the 5V/12V rails while I'm at it. The issue hasn't occurred these 2 days but if it should I might try a repair install using a Windows bootable flash drive.