Windows 7 won't recognise Nvidia 9800GT

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by GerPronouncedGrr, Jan 11, 2014.

1. GerPronouncedGrr

GerPronouncedGrr Geek Trainee

Hey guys, I upgraded an older machine to Windows 7 from Windows XP when I heard they were going to discontinue XP finally, and everything went fine, except for one thing: my new OS now won't recognise my GPU (Nvidia 9800GT). It's especially bizarre because my monitor is plugged into the GPU, not the motherboard, and it's working fine. Well, fine aside from the fact that I can only choose from 4 resolutions in the control panel, none of which are my monitor's native resolution.

So far, I have tried installing every single Windows update available, physically uninstalling and reinstalling the GPU, and installing the GPU to another machine (it works fine still), all to no avail, nothing has changed at all. I should also mention that attempting to install Nvidia drivers or the GeForce Experience program both result in a failure with the error message stating that I do not have an Nvidia product installed.

One other thing to note, I also have a PCI-to-PCI controller conflict, which I believe is related. It seems to be sharing a physical address with the motherboard VGA adapter, and I'll attach some screens to show what's going on there. I'll also attach my system profile in case I forgot to mention anything. I know enough to recognise that there's something wrong here, but not enough to know what to do about it!

I appreciate any help! This one really has me stumped.

Attached Files:

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Take the Video card out of the computer, Along with Any other cards you have... Write down all the info about the video card from the card..Next remove the Bio's battery for 10 minutes.. next replace the battery back into the Computer.. Now Install the Video card only..Boot up and see if it finds the card, In order to get it to work right you will need the Right Driver... If you cannot find the driver, Then Let us know if this is 32 bit or 64 bit driver..

3. GerPronouncedGrr

I did what you said, but there's no change. I also updated my MB drivers, which didn't help either. I cannot update the GPU drivers as I stated, because the Nvidia installer won't recognise that I have an Nvidia card installed.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Does you motherboard have on-board graphics?

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Is this 32 bit or 64 bit ? What does it say right on the card itself ? You will find more than One driver for that card, And Windows 7 should of picked it up with its data base of drivers.. Also take a look under the Bio's, Look to see what is set as default under Video ...

6. GerPronouncedGrr

Yes, it has integrated ATI Radeon X1250-based graphics.

This is 32-bit. I'm starting to think it's due to the 32-bit physical memory address hole, and have begun researching PAE and PSE-36 workarounds. Any advice here would be appreciated. I'm going to shut down and grab that card info and check my BIOS defaults, will be back shortly.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sounds like a Conflict between the two, Is one set to default ? Or both of them are on ? What happens if you use the ATI onboard. ?

8. Sniper

ok I would recommend disabling the on-board graphics via BIOS and then hopefully your other graphics card will be detected.

9. GerPronouncedGrr

Actually, I can't figure out how to do this. In my BIOS Advanced settings, I have to option to switch which adapter to use automatically, which I have set to the PCIEx slot, but I don't see anything about disabling the onboard graphics. If it helps, I'm using an ASUS M2A-VM MB revision 0302. I attempted to download a new BIOS version from the ASUS website, but it just keeps giving me junk .bin files that I can't use. Or maybe I just don't know how to use them?

10. GerPronouncedGrr

Also, here are some shots of the GPU in question, since I'm not sure exactly what info you want.

Attached Files:

11. Sniper

right, ok, setting it to PCIEx should have done the trick (past experience suggests), maybe try disabling it via the device manager in windows 7.

12. GerPronouncedGrr

So, here's an interesting development: I was having an issue where connecting my monitor to my onboard VGA was getting me no display at all, not even at the BIOS startup. So what I did was remove the GPU entirely, unplugged the PSU for about 10 minutes, plugged it back in, then plugged the monitor into the onboard again. This time it booted normally, and what's more, it repaired the PCI-to-PCI bridge error and installed a new driver for it. Then, I restarted again and now my display, display adapter, and PCI-to-PCI devices are all displaying correctly in the Device Manager, and my monitor was automatically set to its native resolution.

So, good news right? Except that now I'm not using my GPU...

So I guess my question now becomes, how do you think I proceed? I had this scary moment where when I first tried using the onboard graphics I couldn't see anything and I was convinced I had a physical fault with my MB. I know now that's not the case, but I'm a still concerned that if I reconnect my GPU and select the PCIEx port as default again, I'm going to wind up right back where I started. Or maybe the PCI-to-PCI issue has been solved, and it will work as intended? I have no idea. I guess there's nothing to do but try, but if you have some advice about a better way to proceed I'd love to hear it.

13. Sniper

Yeh does sound like a conflict of sorts, I'd try adding the card again and see what happens. You should be able to disable the on-board graphics via the device manager and then trying installing the drivers again.

14. GerPronouncedGrr

OK so, after a bunch of fiddling, the result is this:

1) If the GPU is not installed and the BIOS is set to use the onboard VGA, the onboard VGA will work just fine, at native resolution. The VGA controller shows up in the device manager, and there is no issue with the PCI-to-PCI bridge either.

2) If the GPU is installed and the BIOS is set to use the PCIEx slot, the display defaults to 800x600, and neither the VGA controller or my GPU show up in the device manager. Additionally, the PCI-to-PCI bridge error returns.

Just to reiterate, I know there is nothing wrong with the GPU, I was using it in another computer to test it, so it's fine. Also, if I plug in a new piece of hardware, shouldn't Windows 7 recognise that and ask me to install it? It doesn't.

Any suggestions?

15. Sniper

16. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Might be something wrong with Your Windows 7 , Maybe it got Corrupted.. For now I would use Onboard ATi, and try to get the latest drivers for it.. Did you have the Nvidia card plugged in when you setup windows 7 ? Or did you add it later ? You have some kind of screwy Conflict going on, and will take some time to figure it out..

17. GerPronouncedGrr

Yeah I've decided to just use the onboard for now. It's disappointing, but I have no idea how to solve this. I'm going to check out that page Sniper suggested, but failing that I'll have to give it a rest for now.

To answer your other question though, I had the GPU installed and the BIOS set to run from the PCIEx when I installed Win7.

18. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What are the options in the bios under Video ?

19. GerPronouncedGrr

I have no "Video" tab in my BIOS. I go to the "Advanced" tab, and then there is an option to set the default display controller. That's the only thing even vaguely related anywhere in my BIOS.

20. GerPronouncedGrr

Also, uninstalling and reinstalling both PCI-to-PCI bridges produced no effect, the error comes back.