Windows XP and IBM

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PostCode, Dec 20, 2001.

1. PostCode

PostCode Geek Trainee

I'm beginning to think that Microsoft and IBM are still at odds. Here's my system rundown before I start:

AMD T-Bird 1GHZ at 1.2
    Gigabyte GA-7IXEH
    768MB PC-133 Micron
    GeForce MX-200 32MB
    Sound Blaster Live Value
    D-Link DFE-503+ PCI NIC
    POS LT WinModem (in case DSL goes down)
    Sony 52X CD-ROM
    Acer 8x4x32x CDRW (don't laugh, it still works after two years)
    2 - IBM 40GB Deskstar's

Now, under the current configuration, I can successfully install Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, RedHat 6.2, Redhat 7.1 and 7.2, mandrake 8, and a few other Linux distro's. However I cannot install Windows XP. Period. On the first reboot of the system I get a BSOD:

INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If I clock back the system to 1GHz, everything is fine. So I got to tinkering and installed XP on a Western Digital 20GB drive. Boom. No problem at 1.2GHz. Not a one. Installs and runs fine. As soon as I even try to overclock the board by even the smallest amount, raising the bus from 100 to 101, then boom. BSOD. The only way to run Windows XP on an IBM drive is to clock the system at 100, yet on any other drive I can run it at 120.

Has anyone else experienced any issues with XP and IBM drives?

Not that I'm a fan of these drives to begin with. One died two months out of the box. It took IBM THREE months to ge the RMA to me. I always bought Western Digital drives simply because they were always reliable and when you RMA one, you can get an advanced replacement. I got the IBM drives because of reviews I've read and from the talk with people I know. Now, I regret the decision and will buy a Western Digital the next time.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

PostCode, that’s quite strange, must have something to do with the HD settings, or maybe it just can't handle the speed?

3. Illa

Illa Geek Trainee

The problem is probably with your hard drives and UDMA mode, are you suing the 80 pin ide cable? Windows XP detects if you have udma cables, if you don't on the reboot during install you will receive the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error, go get the correct cabling and everything should be gravy.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's odd.
    Does this thing have on-board IDE RAID?
    I've heard of problems with the latest controllers from both HighPoint and Promise causing problems when you try to install XP.

Which IBM's do ya have? I've got a pair of 40GB 60GXP's (not the death-prone 75GXP's) running RAID 0 without a hitch.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

At worst, using a 40pin ribbon cable will leave you at ATA33. It shouldn't be causing blue screens unless the cables themselves are damaged.