Wireless Router speed/bandwidth question...

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by scorps65, Apr 22, 2011.

1. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Hey guys. A friend of mine has a Linksys WRT310N. There are 4 wireless devices using the internet via this router: his iPhone, iPad, TV, and MacBook Pro (if you haven't noticed, he loves apple). Because he has 4 devices connected, his surfing on all devices has become pretty slow. So he asked me, the computer genius, if there was another router out there that could increase his speed while still using all 4 devices.

Is there? Is there such thing as "router speed"? Or does it all depend on the modem it is connected to?
    Please, let me know.

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,
    It may be possible to throttle the bandwidth on certain types of routers. I have read in a few places that it requires a user to use an unofficial bios to make the changes, but then others have said newer routers are able to throttle bandwidth as part of their default setup. You may want to check out the linksys site to see if they have any information about bandwidth throttling for the specific model your friend has :)

scorps65 likes this.
  3. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I stumbled across this website in my search to throttle his router bandwidth, since there isn't a way to do it via linksys firmware. That site is pretty interesting, but using their firmware will void your warranty. I never knew you could unlock your router's capabilities with 3rd party firmware. Mind you, i didn't even know 3rd party firmware existed!
    Anyway, i'm still uncertain about certain aspects of a router. If i were to purchase a new router that can handle 4 devices without sacrificing surfing/download speed, would i need to watch out for "Wireless data rates" of a router? Most claim to be up to 300Mbps. Some are up to 450Mbps, and some 1 Gbps. And does this have to do with bandwidth?

Thanks again

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I have http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato/ installed on my Linksys WRT54G (got it pretty cheap on http://ebay.co.uk). Not sure if its possible to install it on the router you mentioned!

It adds QOS which allows you to prioritise traffic based on the port/ip source/ip destination and MAC address. So you could in theory; give priority to traffic via the iPad.

Have a quick read here I think it explains it pretty well.

scorps65 likes this.
  5. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Thanks man! It looks similar to what i stumbled upon. I'm gonna leave his router alone since it isn't mine and i wouldn't want to experiment on a friends (even though all the faqs are here). Plus i don't think he'd like the idea of losing his warranty. Thanks again

6. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Who would fair better between these two? The E4200 or the WRT310n? Will the e4200 give me greater speed?

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

8. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Got it, THANKS!