X-Fi Xtreme Gamer no front left sound

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by ZeroG, Apr 8, 2007.

1. ZeroG

ZeroG Geek Trainee

I finally got around to getting a new soundcard today. Bought a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer soundcard with some new Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers. Got home and installed the card and speakers, which went fine, and then installed the drivers and programmes for the card.

However I have come across a very annoying problem. When running tests on the sound I find that there is no sound coming out of the front left speaker. All the other speakers are working fine. I tried swapping the speaker into a different position on the sub woofer and I get sound out of it so the speaker itself isn't faulty.

I've updated the drivers and software and been through the KB on this site and did some searches but I couldn't find anything that matched my problem. I've been fiddling about with the different options in the software and I can't seem to get it all working together.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I could be going wrong ?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Test the speakers with another sound card and/or try a different set of speakers with the X-Fi.

3. sciroccosven

sciroccosven Geek Trainee

I just bought a 5.1 speaker setup. On the panel on my sub there was a switch that enabled either 2.1, 4.1, or 5.1 Try switching that back and forth a couple of times. Make sure your speakers are set to 5.1 and not 4.1. That might be your problem.

Dave

4. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

are u using xp or vista?

5. ZeroG

ZeroG Geek Trainee

After much testing of both hardware and software I took the speakers back to the shop and exchanged it for another one (same make/model). The new ones work fine so it seems it was a fault in the subwoofer connection.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.