Xclio psu causing sudden restart

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Warmonger41, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

The problem is pretty much in the title. I installed my new Xclio 500 watt psu and randomly my computer restarts. So far it has only been while im playing games.

If my little works power 350 watt could power my comp then this new psu shouldn't have any problems.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

That new PSU might have a mechanical error, that causes the power to fail.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Check the event log for errors. Also, keep an eye on your temps. If possible, get a digital multimeter and use that to check your 12V rail.

4. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

How do I check the event log and tempature?

thx for the help

5. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Event log: Windows Control panel > administrative tools > computer management. Select Event Logs in the left culumn. Now you can choose the log that you whish in the right culumn. I think that you'll need the log System. Now about that measurement of the temperature: You can buy a device for this. Most of them fit in a cd-drive bay or floppy bay of your case. Here is an example of such a meter: ALTERNATE. Hardware - Software - Entertainment

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Oh, as far as temperatures, I meant the CPU and system temps.

7. Warmonger41

Warmonger41 Big Geek

Well I was gonna show you guys a pick of it, but it says that the upload failed. Then I rememberd that I had this problem before, so I think the problem is my XP is having a critical error. So what I did is I disabled the whole restart on critical error.

By the way, what is the downside on disabling that?

thx for the help

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It won't reboot when you have a BSOD unless you manually restart. It's nice because then you'll be able to read what's being cited, if anything.