XFX, GeForce4 Ti4800 SE. Price query

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by hunterross, Feb 4, 2004.

1. hunterross

hunterross Geek Trainee

i'm buying a fairly new graphics card off a mate in the near future, and we need some idea of a reasonable 2nd hand price. We've both searched the net here there and everywhere but cannot find any info on the card. Heres full information on the graphics card:
    Code: PV-T28K-NCFB
    Manufacturer: XFX
    GeForce4 Ti4800 SE, 8 x AGP, 128MB DDR, DVI+TV OUT

How much should I offer for this card? - remember its second hand - but only a few months old..he wants £120 for it.. i think this is too high, but i want to be sure.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I think it's too high also; you can get that card for only a few bucks more in the retail box now. I'd offer him £70-85, depending on how nice you're feeling. :) If he won't flex on the cost, I'd just buy myself a nice Radeon 9600XT and kindly pass on your friend's offer.

3. hunterross

hunterross Geek Trainee

Thanks man - any idea where you can pick this card up? care to share a link? It'd be great to show him some prices online so we can agree on a price easier!

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

120£ ??????????????
    No no no. You can get a Bulk 9800 Pro for that price or a 9600XT with a nice amount of money left in your pockets.

Even 85£ is too much for that card IMO, because that's the price of the 9600XT if you go at newegg.com

120£ is $220 usd btw, and again, it's really not a suitable price.

At newegg.com a BRAND NEW Asus Ti4800SE is around $160 usd. (87£) but to me, this is a bad price, and it's brand new. So I wouldn't pay more than 70£ for it, at the very most.

Too bad you don't live in the US, 'cause their 9600XTs are at ridiculous prices right now...

On a side note, if you guys look at newegg.com , you'll notice that they have a retail 9600XT for $152 , a Bulk 9600XT for $171 and a retail 9600XT for $172 , all manufactured by Sapphire....what's the deal with that ?
    first one is probably OEM but they made a mistake and if you order, you should get a shiny retail one. (Like Dell which sold complete systems for under $100 by mistake....that's gotta hurt :D )

5. hunterross

hunterross Geek Trainee

thank for the great advice - does anybody know of somewhere where they sell the same model of graphics card i'm buying off my mate? I understand that different companies charge vastly different amounts for their "branding" - i realise better brands can be better overclocked, when essentially the guts of the cards are the same.

the model in question? xfx is the manufacturer, GeForce4 Ti4800 SE is the title of the card.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Ti4800SE chip itself is like a GF4 Ti4400/4600 with AGP8x capabilities, just so you know.

XFX is the manufacturer. I don't have an opinion on them as I haven't used them at all and I really haven't heard much about them either.

Going by Dabs prices a GF4 Ti4400 is running around £150 with VAT. You can get a Radeon 9600XT for £103 w VAT.