XP detects 74.5 GB instead of 80 GB

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by varunb, Jan 3, 2007.

1. varunb

varunb Geek Trainee

I recently got a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 hard drive (ST380215A) installed with a capacity of 80 GB. I got it partitioned by my pc engineer as a single drive (Local Disk: F) with NTFS file system.
    When my pc came back from the upgradation, i found out that windows Xp is showing only 74.5 GB instead of 80 GB. I rebooted into my bios & found it was showing complete 80.0 GB. This shows that this is a windows problem but i dont how to fix it. Pls guyz I need help!

My Windows is installed in drive C & there were no new windows installation during or after the upgradation. I have also checked in Disk Management & there is no unallocated disk space.

My PC specs are:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 build 2600
    Intel D845GVAD2 motherboard,
    512 MB RAM,
    Samsung SP0411N hard drive (capacity of 40 GB, partitioned into drive C & D both having capacity of 18.6 GB each, rest occupied by page file),

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 hard drive (new) - ST380215A

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Hard Drive Manufacturer's measure the capacity of there drive's in 1000's instead of 1024's.

The BIOS might recognize the drive as 80GB (if it measure in 1000's) but windows will measure the partition in 1024's.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

See this thread for an explanation and calculations on the HDD size, more specifically this post.