XP Security Guide Preview Release 2

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by megamaced, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Okay guys, i've added a ton of new content since I last offered a preview of this guide. I've just finished tidying up the guide and now it is ready for your veiwing pleasure!

What's not done yet?

Well the whole of Section '8) Other / Random Security Tweaks' is still under development and I haven't even started the glossary yet. The rest of it is pretty much done now (thank god) but i'd still like your feedback. Specifically:

Q1: Is Section '4) Protect your computer from Viruses' too vague?

Q2: Is Section '7) Change your internet browser' too vague?

Q3: Can somebody recommend some more (free) programs and information to fill the 'External Resources' and 'Alternative Software for your consideration' sections?

Q4: And for Pelvis_3 (or somebody else who uses ZoneAlarm). Can you explain in detail what the Privacy Control and Cache Cleaner functions do?

Q5: General thoughts?

You can view the guide here

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Disabling Services

These services are by default set to either Automatic or Manual. Disabling these services can help make your computer more secure.

Press the Windows + R keys, in the resulting box type services.msc and the services snap-in will appear. Scroll down to each service you wish to disable. You disable it by double-clicking on the service, a new window will appear. In that windows go down to the box next Startup type and use the arrow on the right to choose Disabled. Go down to the bottom of that windows and choose Apply and then OK. Restart when you've finished disabling all the services that you desire to.

[​IMG]

[link=http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/security/page_3.htm]<<Source>>[/link]
    I think this website can provide a good help in building WinXP security Guide. Its worth checking once~!

3. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Privacy Advisor
    Privacy Advisor is an alert that appears when Zone Labs security software blocks cookies or mobile code, and enables you to allow those elements for a particular page. To prevent Privacy Advisor from appearing each time Web page elements are blocked, select the check box labeled 'Turn Off Privacy Advisor' when the small popup appears at the lower right of your screen.

Cache cleaner
    Whenever you open a file, view a Web page or fill out an online form, copies of the Web pages you view are stored in your browser's cache, enabling pages to load more quickly. If you're working on a shared computer, these files also are available for viewing by anyone who uses that computer.

Similarly, when you open a file, delete a file, or search for files on your computer, these actions leave behind an electronic trail designed to help you retrace your steps, should you need to in the future. Although useful, over time this excess clutter can affect your computer's performance and efficiency.
    Use the built-in Cache Cleaner to periodically rid your computer of these excess files, free up disk space, and ensure your privacy.

4. megamaced

Thanks again Pelvis, i've added that to the guide.

BTW, what's 'mobile code'?

5. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Mobile code refers to Java, Javascript, ActiveX and any other scripts that can be run from in a browser.

6. megamaced

Thanks Pelvis - I've added that info to the Glossary section :)

7. megamaced

The guide is now finished :D

Please post feedback and ideas in the main guide. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.