XP sticks around after format

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by base836ball, Jul 18, 2005.

1. base836ball

base836ball Geek Trainee

Lets take for example that I have one copy of XP Pro Installed. Something screws up with it and I FORMAT the hard drive and put on XP Home. How come it now gives me the OS choice on startup. I thought a format deletes it all. So why would I be given the option of XP Pro still. And if I do choose XP Pro it just restarts the Computer. Not a problem, just wondering.

2. Addis

Addis The King

A properly done hard drive format would have wiped out all the files on the drive.
    To get rid of the option: right click my computer>Properties> Advanced>Startup and recovery settings>change time before OS etc to 0 secs onstead of 30.

3. base836ball

base836ball Geek Trainee

Yea thats what I had to do. It just baffles me thats all. I use the Windows XP format when I put the CD in. I am formatting using NTFS and NOT the quick option. Just annoying thats all.

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

It didn't rewrite the boot sector.

5. base836ball

base836ball Geek Trainee

So how do I modify or rewrite the boot sector?

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

just try reformatting again and reinstall XP

7. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

I remember once fixing a problem with the boot sector by running the command "fdisk /mbr" but I don't remember what the command actually does or what the problem was. I *think* it has the fdisk program clean up the boot sector but that's just a guess, it's probably worth running it just to see what it does!