XP Validation Help

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by nanco, Mar 13, 2006.

1. nanco

nanco Geek Trainee

Windows wont validate, the message I get is:

"The validation process could not be completed because the validation control is unable to read the product key stored on this computer. We are unable to verify whether your copy of Windows is genuine."

I have a genuine version of XP and have validated it before. Why wont it work this time? Before I contact Microsoft (as prompted), does anyone know what could be wrong?

Cheers in advance!

Matt

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Are you running any security tools/wuites etc (such as zone alarm PRO) as i believe that they have features which can interfere with a validation (but when it happend to me, i got a pop up [from zonealarm] asking me if i wanted to allow the validation tool to "read/modify physical memory" [and i click no to see what would happen :p])

I would contact microsoft like you said, as it should be free! and they wil have come accross this situation more often than anyone here on hwf... good luck!

3. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

The legit way:
    Call Microsoft with the phone number they provide in the activation window, you will then be promted to enter a big ass code sequence by telling the computer operator, then they will direct you to a microsoft rep. He/She will ask you howmany computers is windows installed on blah blah..Just say it's a repair and you reformatted, after this she should read you a series of numbers, you enter them in and bam. Activated.

The other way:
    Google it and find a special .exe

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Sure does.

5. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Edited for content :p