Xp vs Vista

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Journeyman, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Journeyman

Journeyman Geek Trainee

Click Here to view the results of a head to head Windows XP vs Windows Vista review.
    Thinking of upgrading to the new OS, this may make you think again (for the time being).

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Yea, it does seem preety bad, but they must of upgraded it in updates because i play Oblivion on all the same settings as in XP, and its around the same, infact most applications perform faster for me what i use than they did in Windows XP, i am sticking to Vista, probs one of the few that has allready changed, but i have Windows XP still installed incase there is big problems with Vista.

Sure Vista is awsome for me, but i just read an email fro CNET.

"Finally, the long-awaited Windows Vista is here! And whether you are a Microsoft fan or not, you probably can't help but hear the buzz on Vista. It's been five years since the launch of XP, and people are looking forward to big changes for Windows. But the question for everyday home users is, is there much change at all? Or are we talking about a very expensive service pack upgrade for Windows XP? According to Microsoft, one of the reasons to upgrade to Vista is that it is suppose to be more secure, but according to the latest CNET Security Watch column: "That $200 Windows XP service pack called Vista", Senior Editor Robert Vamosi points out that "most of the touted security enhancements in Windows Vista don't appear in the Home Premium and Basic versions, and what is there, what's not already available within Windows XP, could have fit into a free Windows XP service pack instead of requiring a $200 upgrade." Now that's one expensive service pack! So does that mean we're paying a couple of hundred bucks for something a little prettier, maybe a bit easier to use, but you still have to tightly manage security on your own? Personally, I say "no, thanks," at least to the home or basic versions. So what do you think? Do you agree with Rob's column? Why or why not? Read his article and get talking--because we want to know exactly what's on your mind about Vista."

I think this may be true, a Service pack with some big problems :p

I admit, Vista has previously ruined my HDD and has messed other peoples computers up too and locked them out of XP!!

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's why having a spare hard drive for testing crap is always nice to have.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Geek Trainee

Lol Big B that didnt half make me laugh after a crap day at work and ringing up the tax office :p

5. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

will all software that works on xp work on vista?

6. Willz

From what i have seen most of it that i use does, however some things dont like little external applications for GTA SA, i found Daemon Tools dint work too :(, lukily they brought out a version that was compatible with Vista.

Creative X-Fi Drivers are preety crap compared to the XP ones, but they work, gaming mode, wireless control with Intelliremote works awsome :D, optical works, and CMSS3D, Crystilizer, they all finally work :D

7. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

my mates just give me vista ultimate edition so im gonna install that tonight, i did however have a trial version of vista and what i found was that once youve had vista on you dont really wanna go back to XP because it changed the format of my hard drive where all my music was stored and i had to wipe it:(

8. Willz

It did not change the format for me :confused: it destroyed my HDD though, you need to freshly format a partition using a disk manager in xp like paragon or partition magic, format it as NTFS, then isntall vista on it withought formatting or it may destroy your hdd like it did with me.

9. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

destroyed it as in u had to buy a new one?

10. Willz

Nah, just destroyed all 115gb of data on it, so really, did not destroy it :p, that was the first time i installed Vista, this time i installed it, i did it the way i said above by pre formating the Partition and not having Vista Setup do it and it worked fine :)

11. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

willz are those prgrams for formating the drive as NTFS free?

12. Willz

Paragon Partition Manager? nah you have to pay for them unfortunatly.

13. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

say i didnt use one of those programs and just formated and installed vista, wshould everything be ok

14. Willz

So you format using the Vista setup? it might be, but if it really is a bug that happens with everyone, your going to see your HDD partitions been wiped, the only one that survived was my XP Partition, my 2 storage ones got wiped because i made vista Format Unallocated space.

15. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

are there any known driver issues with vista, as i saw "PLEASE BE AWARE DRIVIER AVAILIBILITY FOR THIS PRODUCT IS LIMITED" on some site.

16. Willz

Well yea it currently is limited, but some XP Drivers work, i noticed all the Drivers for my Sony ericsson phone works, just no the software so i got some other software.

17. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

will all older games work, like generals

18. Willz

Most games do work, i dont know of any that dont work.

19. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

did u buy the ultimate edition? or is it a copy

20. Willz

Its a trial untill july.