XP won't see external drive

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Cosmic, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Cosmic

Cosmic Geek Trainee

My sister's computer has a corrupted OS. I wanted to format the drive and re-install but back-up her files first. I took the drive out of her computer, put it in an external case and connected it to my computer. The drive would not show up in My Computer so I opened up Disk Management. The drive did not show up in there either. The drive does show up in Device Manager though. It's an IBM drive and both computers were running XP. How can I get my computer to see the drive so I can recover some files? Nothing I do seems to work.

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I think you are not looking at correct place in your Disk Management. You have to look at right bottom of that window. You might need to initialise it first...Just right click on it and click initialise.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Geek Trainee

I can't initailize it since it doesn't even show up in the bottom panel. It only shows my internal drives.

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

When you insert the USB cable, does your computer displays any message on the right bottom of your desktop?
    [ot]Why dont you attatch that Hard drive directly into your computer?[/ot]

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

This might sound silly, but you did make sure to plug in the power for the drive? The data cable does not power the drive.