Yellow light??

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Jecht, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

A friend of mine is having issues with his display. When he turns the computer on, the light goes to yellow, and stays that way for like 10-15 seconds, then goes out, but the computer is still on. the monitor is gettin no video signals, and i have tried it with a couple diff monitors, so the monitor isnt the issue. he has onboard video, so i tried puttin one of my old working video cards in it, but there is still no signal, and that yellow light still acts the same way. i honestly do not know what could be the problem. plz help, his wifey wants the computer back asap , thx

2. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

well , i think i have found the problem. the cpu fan is not working, i know its probably obvious, but is this the reason? i think so, plz lemme know asap, thx

3. Addis

Addis The King

Fans have a finite lifespan (as do many things), and will eventually die. But they shouldn't do for years. If it has died, then theres nothing you can really do. Or you could check that it is the fan by trying anotherr CPU fan in the mobo socket.

4. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

today when i get home from work im gonnna check all the connections and make sure he didnt accidently unplug something and plug it in teh wrong place. but my question is, is the no fan the reason for no video? makes sense that nothing would happen at all if the cpu overheated right away. thx

5. Addis

Addis The King

Its a bit strange that it won't boot up for even a split second, as you'd think that the HS would cool it for a few seconds before it shuts down.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

A CPU can only operate within a certain temperature. If the temp exceeds that or starts getting near that, you'll get symptoms like you described. Mechanical devices are going to fail. It's not a matter of if so much as when. Ball bearings are what you want as the design allows them to last longer than sleeve bearings.

7. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

I think it is very unlikely that its is a CPU cooling problem, unless he is using a very old Athlon. I can start my pentium 4 (478) and get into windows without my CPU heatsink and fan :good: . When you tried the other graphics card did you disable onboard video? do you see any booting up at all? if so what stage? If it was a memory or graphics failure you wouldnt even get the bios loading beep. My 9800 Pro failed a few months back and the computer wouldnt boot.