Zone Alarm Pro and ICS

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by thomas234, Apr 7, 2007.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Hi, whilst I'm staying at my grandparents this weekend I'm trying to get ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) working, so I can go on MSN on my laptop. My Granddads broadband is through TalkTalk using a speedtouch 330 usb modem. I have successfully connected to his computer using a crossover ethernet cable, and transferred files to make sure it's working.

Last night I managed to configure Zone Alarm Pro on his computer to allow ICS, and was managing to get on MSN (but not surfing the internet for some reason). However, when I tried again this morning it did not work, unless we closedown Zone Alarm. Any idea why??

Thanks, Thomas

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Hmm i'm not very well versed with zonealarm, but have you made sure that it isnt blocking certain ports needed to browse the internet from you? From memory I think 3128 is a major one, my memory sucks at things like this tho, purhaps someone here knows them all :D

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Ok, so I've opened the suggested port, to no avail. It seems I can surf the internet fine on my laptop when the computer is also surfing the internet. Also, I can only connect to MSN when the computer is using the internet, but once it's connected it stays connected.

If I am signed in on MSN, I can only load up webpages when someone has just sent a message. :(

Dodgy or what!?!?!?

4. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Dodgy indeed, and still everything works fully if you disable zone alarm?

5. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Yep everything is fine once Zone Alarm has gone. My Granddad keeps offering to just close it down whilst I'm surfing, but I don't want to leave his computer vunerable.

[OT]Btw nice signature! Made me laugh![/OT]

6. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Kinda a round-about fix but install a different free firewall on his PC to see if it it just zonealarm being gay?

Personal preference - Kerio Personal Firewall

[ot]Hehe, everyone loves Pooh[/ot]