zotac GeForce 9800 GTX "AMP" version?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by nikolaou, Feb 10, 2009.

1. nikolaou

nikolaou Geek Trainee

i am looking for a new video card, you can see my old setup on my other thread in the hot or not forum.

basically i have currently a 256mg geforce 8500gt and i want to take a step upwards, and this is what i am currently looking at :

Canada Computers - Video Cards > PCI-Express Cards > Powered By nVidia : Zotac GeForce 9800GTX AMP 512MB (ZT-98XES2P-FCP) nVidia GeForce 9800GTX Chipset (750Mhz) 512MB (2300Mhz) GDDR3 Dual Dual-Link DVI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card.

it is a 9800gtx but according to Zotac, ( who are the makers), it is a step above their regular geforce 9800gtx which is 25 dollars less...
    it is a "AMP" Version, where they took the GPU clock from 675 mhz to 750 and the "Memory clock" from 2200mhz to 2300

is all this stuff worth the extra 25$?

basically, if i am not incorrect is becomes very similar to a geforce 9800gtx+ right?

would i see a substancial difference between this amp version and the regular version? or perhaps this amp version and the 9800gtx+?

thanks and bye

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

You will notice very little difference, mainly when using higher resolutions e.g. 1920x1200

3. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

It's actually a decent factory overclock. You would see perhaps a 4-5 fps difference between the two if you have a good processor.

There are two main reasons for someone to buy a factory overclocked gpu. The first would be that overclocking a gpu on your own will void the warranty. This will give you an overclock over the normal stock speeds. The second reason would be that it is GUARANTEED to overclock to at least that speed. That means that *in theory* you should be able to overclock even higher.

4. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I always felt that the factory Overclocked cards were pretty good, the best thing that they are Guaranteed! to work at that speed and you can get a replacement if it burns out, as opposed to overclocking a stock card that then burns out but you have invalidated your warranty in doing so...