Add USB sockets - advice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sabashuali, Feb 20, 2009.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

hey op!

I would like to expand the number of USB ports I have.
    There are three ways to go and I am not sure which would be the best way to go:
    1. Self powered external USB hub - can have it on the desk for "external drives" hot swapping etc
    2. Exeternaly powered USB hub - is the external power necessary? Is it better than self powered?
    3. PCI card with 3 - 5 additional sockets. Cheep, and static but hard to reach for removable devices (digital camera, flash drives, etc). Is PCI necessarily more advantegous than a USB hub?

Thnaks for any input! :cool:

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I always think that the PCI card is the cleanest way to expanding the USB's, untill I bought both of my new HD 24'' monitors - they have 4 port USB 2.0 hubs built into the sides -

I used to have the exact same problem as you until I got these as my case is very old but I keep it for sentimental reasons - stupid I know - Crap airflow and no USB/Headphones on the front!

It really depends on what you use them for, - my mobo has 8 usb on the back i use them for constantly connected different usb cables - Ipod, micro usb, mini USB etc while I use the ones on the screens for usb sticks and bluetooth.

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Thanks Freg,

I have 4 socket at the back and 2 on top :confused: via a header on the Mobo. The connectors for this particular connection is haphazard at the very best and I am pretty sure I did not connect it very well as one of the sockets gives me problems when I connect my iPod.

Aaanyways, the top option is not really relevant because of the position of the case. So, I know what I want to do but really want to pick up the best option...
    I really favour the USB hub which sits on the PC desk but not sure if I should go for the self powered one or the one which takes external power...
    What could be an advers effect if I took the self powered hub?

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

as far as i'm concerned, there is no decision to make, i'd choose an external powered hub, because:

a self powered hub can only supply a maximum of 1.5A when running @ low speed, as the speed approaches the max speed the current available to high speeding devices lowers to 900mA
    so a high speed, say a HDD, may require the use of a USB adapter which actually uses 2 USB ports to reproduce 1 USB port that can supply power from both USB ports

hope this helps

BTW: the USB adapter should come with high power devices or they'll say "only use this device with an externally powered hub"

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Exactly what I'd have said were I not walking on a fell all day :)

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

[ot]
    if you are walking on a fell, please don't fall in, it's not big, it's not clever & it's bl00dy cold[/ot]

7. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Thanks Both!
    Donkey, that was exactly why I posted the thread! So, many thanks for the detailed explenation! Will go and place my order now...

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no problem, it makes a nice change to be helpful to you :pray:

Edit: i could have really shown off, but, you get the idea, besides, i'm modest :embaracement:[ot]and if you believe that loada crap, you'll believe anything[/ot]

9. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

[ot]
    Fall in? I could fall off i guess:chk: And it was nice in the lake district yesterday :D[/ot]

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

[ot]
    in / off, Semantics [/ot]