ALL fans (CPU, GPU, PSU) suddenly too slow

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aquifex, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Aquifex

Aquifex Geek Trainee

Hi, I'm having the problem that literally from one day to the next, all of my PC's fans are malfunctioning.

The PC was working fine with no problems until recently. I turned it of, turned it on again the next day an immediately heard a "crunching" noise from inside the case.

Of course I turned it of immediately, opened the case and checked for any damage, obstruction of the likes. I found nothing at first glance, so I left the case open, turned it on again and observed.
    While the crunching noise did not come back, I noticed the following things:
    • First: The CPU fan did not rotate, but it seemed to try: Sometimes it moved a bit and then stopped again. It never made a full rotation.
    • Second: One of the two GPU fans seemed to slow down sometimes and then speed up again. The other GPU fan was rotating continuously as it should.
    • Third: Noises I would describe as clickering came from the PSU.
    On a software side, I noticed no malfunctions of any kind. The PC booted up normally. From the desktop (Win7) I watched the CPU and GPU speed for some time, felt the heat sinks and everything seemed OK temperature-wise. Interestingly, the CPU fan started rotating after some time, although very slowly and definitely slower than usual.

I rebooted the PC and deactivated Smartfan in the BIOS. Now the CPU fan was rotating at high speed, so it does not seem to be damaged mechanically. The clickering noise from the PSU remained.

Rebooted and went to BIOS again, activated "Alarm if PSU fan stands still". After leaving the BIOS, the alarm sounded up immediately, so the PSU fan seems to be malfunctioning as well. When I deactivated the PSU fan alarm and activated Smartfan and "Alarm if CPU fan stands still", the CPU fan stopped as it did before, and as expected I heard an alarm as well.

In summary, it seems that all of the PCs fans, but at least the CPU and PSU fans are malfunctioning. The CPU fan does not seem to be damaged mechanically. I did not notice any other malfunctions aside from the fans.

Does anyone have an idea what could be broken? The mainboard? The PSU? The heat sensors? Something else?

My system's components:
    Mainboard: Gigabyte 870A-UD3
    CPU fan: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B
    GPU: MSI N460GTX Hawk
    GPU fan: MSI Twin Frozr II (came with the GPU and was already built in)
    PSU: Cougar SE 400

Thanks for any help!

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I would replace the power supply first, what is your cpu temp ? it sounds like your bio settings went back to default for some reason...

3. Aquifex

Aquifex Geek Trainee

CPU temp is about 40-60°C (~100-140°F) when booting and in desktop mode, so nothing to worry about here, however what's troubling me is the sound coming from the PSU, and I would not want to try and high-performance applications under these conditions.

As I explained, when Smartfan is disabled, the CPU fan runs at a speed definitely sufficient for cooling, but I'm not sure it's really the maximum speed. When Smartfan is enabled, it's definitely much slower than it should be in a given situation:

PC booting up: normally slow speed, now fan standing still.
    Desktop, idle: normally medium fan speed, now very slow (I'd guess well below 100 rpm)

Why do you think my BIOS settings went back to default? Originally, Smartfan was enabled and the alarm sounds were disabled. I toyed around with these settings now to see what would happen.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

If your PSU is making any kind of noise, then that is not good... could be the fan going out ? What PSU do you have ? Is it a brand name one ? Usually when the Bio's reverts back to Default mean's There was a power Problem or Surge or could be a Virus... BUT in your case I would take a close look at your Power Supply..
    SMELL the back to see if you smell Anything electrical ...

5. Aquifex

Aquifex Geek Trainee

It's a Cougar SE 400W which is supposedly a decent PSU, but of course there are some black sheep everywhere ;)

I didn't take a close look at the PSU fan, but according to the BIOS alarm sound, it's standing still.

I haven't noticed a smell so far, but I haven't turned on the PC since yesterday and would prefer not to turn it on again for now to avoid further damage.

I've already ordered a new PSU (my other, older ones were unfortunately not compatible), and I'm definitely going to report if replacing the PSU fixes the problem.

Because the warranty of my current PSU is still valid, I'd rather not tinker around with it.

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have not heard of that brand before, But it looks to be pretty good.. I try to stick with Corsair or Antec or OCZ ... Anyway Let us know if that solves your problem..